Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of casting bullets lately and had some questions about gas checks. I see that you can apply the gas check while sizing, and they crimp on. What if I want to use the Lee mold and tumble lube? Is there a way to crimp the check on there without a sizer? Are gas checks universal for caliber? In other words are they standardized, and will different brands interchange? I see the Lee molds come with and without the need for a gas check, but I prefer them in hotter loads, so what do I do to get the gas check seated on those?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Your bullet has to be designed to accept gas checks. A plain base bullet has nowhere for the gas check to fit. Gas checks come in different calibers but they are soft so will adjust slightly as they're sized. If you anneal your gas checks they'll become even more pliable.

You can use one of the gas check bullet designs with standard lube grooves and still tumble lube it. You can also have Lee make a custom tumble lube mould cut for gas checks.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I use the Lee sizer to put on gas checks, works well. You must use a bullet designed for gas checks and they are caliber specific. I prefer the Hornaday over the Lyman gas checks, you can even buy a tool to make your own.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Bsn,

Lyman gas checks are Hornady gas checks. Didn't used to be, years ago. Back then they were straight-sided. But if you buy them now, they are just repackaged Hornady crimp-on checks. AFAIK, Hornady is the only company currently producing copper gas checks?

Unclepaddy,

See if you can PM moderator Ranch Dog? He designed and used to sell tumble lube gas check bullet molds. Tumble lube should not need sizing, theoretically (and the ones I shoot in .38 and .45 don't), but if you want to seat a check without sizing the whole bullet (to minimize leading), I believe you would need an in-out type lubrisizing tool like the RCBS or Lyman? You might be able to force them into the Lee sizer upside down, if the meplat is flat, then knock them out backward with a brass punch before they went all the way through?

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can use a Lee sizer that's a slip-fit on your bullets. You won't size your bullets but it will seat the gas check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts