Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my local gun store earlier this morning and was approved to purchase a glock handgun no problem instant approval....

Now..about two hours later I go in to another local pawn shop where I have two of my guns in pawn ...
The pawn shop owner takes my $550 payment for the guns back and then we call the fbi and being that hours earlier I had been approved I was not worried yet this call to the fbi rendered me a "delayed" ddecision and I am to wait 6 days before knowing why or if they all of a sudden have denied me...
I am extremely worried because whatever happened if they denied me this time for whatever reason I would be out almost 600 dollars and my guns
Someone please tell me what this means
I have NO criminal charges a run in here or there maybe but no convictions

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It's just 'delayed', probably no biggie. For some reason or another they weren't able to clear you at that moment in time. This could be numerous reasons, most of them minor. You know your own background, if you've no reason to be 'denied' then you should be good to go in a few days. The powers that be have 6 days to to check things out, then decide which step will be needed.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
innocent enough from your end...

someone charged with managing public safety might suspect you were rounding up weapons to start "the revolution" ---- suggest you "take a breath", if they weren't still your friends they'd be knocking at your door.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

Welcome to the forum !

Yep - Remember, they don't know you, so you're being checked out again, in case you're a gang-banger. :p

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Some areas are getting hits for delinquent childcare payments, depending upon which system your area (state) is using. In Florida, they go through FDLE, instead of FBI, and they DO check for that! Anyhow, that's probably not an issue here, so it's probably just delayed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Possibly just multiple handgun purchase, same day different store that triggered the "delayed" with FBI. I thought they could only delay for three days and the transaction had to go through.
Might be a local or state hold. Your pawn dealer should have known that, and hw can't keep your guns if you paid the ticket & interest.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Could just be a bureaucrat trying to meet his "quota" or maybe he was just having a bad hair day, who knows. I was "delayed" for the first time in at least a decade earlier this year myself. Picked up the rifle a couple days later, no biggie.

Don't sweat the small stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
For a "delay" where neither a "proceed" or a "deny" is subsequently received, the FFL can transfer firearm after 3 full business days. On a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, that means the transfer can't be completed until Thursday - which is where people get the 6 day idea.

For delays where a weekend does not intervene, it's just three full business days - the day after the delay is received plus two more full business days. So if it occurs on a Monday, the transfer can be completed on the following Friday. If the delay is on a Tuesday the transfer can be completed on the following Saturday. All other days will add one or two days additional days due to the intervening weekend or part of a weekend.

You can get the details here:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/a-nics-delay

This page outlines the record hits that will prompt a delay:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/reasons-nics-background-checks-are-denied-or-delayed

What the FBI does not address on the page are delays due to system overload, system maintenance, etc. It doesn't come down to whether someone is having a bad day or meeting a quota, but it does come down to simple things such as the system not being able to generate a result due to a slow network, a server being down, a connection problem, etc. When that happens the default response is a "delay", which is the only logical response in that situation. If the workload is light, they'll contact the FFL with the proceed or deny when they get a result, but if they are overloaded, they may let it time out.

That can be an issue as the FFL is not required to complete the transaction after 3 business days. If you encounter an FFL who does that, have him run the NICS check again, particularly in an off peak time, and you'll probably get an immediate result.

The only real conspiracy going on here is underfunding. The political response across government programs is often to underfund something so badly that it fails to work, then make a move to either a) ban it (like the Democrat response to just ban guns when a back ground check system fails due to underfunding) or b) privatize it (like the Republican response to promote charter schools when underfunded public schools fail). They all play the same "de-fund until it fails" game to pursue their own agendas.

·
The Shadow
7,597 Posts
I am extremely worried because whatever happened if they denied me this time for whatever reason I would be out almost 600 dollars and my guns
s
If you do get denied, the shop owner isn't going to just "keep" your money anyway. Just breath, and relax.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
But that pawn broker may well keep his guns. In short, do not pawn your firearms, as you may just not get them back by paying up your ticket. The dark side of this is some G.S.'s who pawns your rifles in order to buy the parts to fix it. He needs it before you arrive to pay him, and pick it up. So he takes another rifle down and pawns that one also, to free up the first one, when the parts arrive. This can snowball out of control, all too easily, when your expensive parts get back ordered. I try to offer to pay half of my bill up front, just to avoid this.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Guys,

Background checks ONLY HIT honest folks. The Bad Guys use "straw purchase" friends or relatives. IF you think this is Bad, wait until Obama uses his Pen and imposes Universal Background Checks for ALL (Honest) gun purchases. Not many criminals go the BATFE Form 4473 Route! Universal Background Checks are a "Trojan Horse" to determine Where the guns are and who has them. The Australian-Type Confiscation will be the next step.

Webley

·
Premium Member
14,697 Posts
Multiple, one day hand gun purchases will trip the trigger and cause a delay. I sometimes get multiple exemplar guns to examine. My dealer knows the drill and I get them 'on time'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Friday my letter showed up showing that my permit was approved and it was ready to be picked up. So I bought my first handgun on monday 8/31 so I could put it on my permit tuesday when I picked it up. First time out they delayed me and said it would be 9/4. But the shop called today and said it had gone through. I was a little suspicious but figured if they had JUST cleared me for my pistol permit there couldn't be anything major wrong.

·
Premium Member
14,697 Posts
Wow-- I've never asked permission to buy any gun and have never even seen a 'permit'. That is shameful to allow such laws.

·
Registered
342 Posts
J, here in Michigan we use to have to get a purchase permit to buy a handgun. It was a real PITA. My first pistol purchase took three trips to the sherifs dept. Thank goodness Michigan lightened up on their crazy BS. Having a CPL saves a bit of time at the check out counter now also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts