Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed that my .223 AR-15 is denting and scratching the brass. The neck of the brass gets two scratches one at 11 O'clock and one at 1 O'clock. And the body gets a dent at 12 O'clock (half way from shoulder to rim). Pretty sure this is a feeding issue but people that leave the brass at the range would never notice this. Haven't noticed anything on the bolt or bolt carrier. Does the same an different magazines also. Any suggestion's?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would guess the body dent is from it hitting the shell deflector upon being ejected unless you are talking about unspent cartridges. The scratches are probably from feeding. I wouldn't worry about any of it unless you are having some function problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Function's fine, I have reloaded some of the brass with no problems. Concern is brass life and wear on my reloading die. And if I can do anything about it?

·
Banned
484 Posts
The way an AR-15 ejects brass can vary with powder type and charge, due to changes in gas port pressure. Experimenting a bit might alter your ejection dynamics enough to mitigate the problem you describe.

·
Banned
543 Posts
That is normal function. The dent from the brass deflector happens frequently with my brass, though not all the time. You might be able to adjust the ejection using an adjustable gas block, or different carrier weights.

Also the scratches are likely at 5 and 7 o'clock and are from the feed ramps scratching the brass as it loads. You could possibly smooth out some of the sharper edges, though it is not really needed.

Could it reduce brass life, possibly, but I doubt you will really notice the reduced life. When I'm shooting a semi-auto I tend to loose more brass in the grass than I do to case life.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Reach Under

I find that a feed ramp will not put any kind of scratches on brass. Especially a well polished one like I have done to all mine. The dings your getting are probably from the ejection port mouth or from the brass deflector.

I also polish/smooth/contour the underside of the lips of my mags. Take one of your empty mags(works best if the follower and spring are taken out),take your pinky finger and run it under the feed lips of your mags(careful not to cut yourself),you'll probably find them sharp. This will put lines on the brass as it is stripped from the mag and jammed into the chamber.

Remember that the entire process of stripping,feeding,extracting,and ejecting,is a very violent one. It is quick and forceful. It is not designed to treat brass gently. BUT......I have brass(LC72 Match) that has been reloaded 15 times. It still holds a bullet(50grBerger)that when fired will go into the same hole as the last bullet at 100yds.

"Minor" dents,dings,and scratches,are not a big deal and will not influence the accuracy OR reliability of your AR.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Those scratches are not going to hurt your reloading dies. Brass is so many times softer than the hardened steel used in the die that those scratches are meaningless to it. Unless some grit gets embedded in the scratch and is carried into the die you will never wear out the die just because of the scratches in the brass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts