Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive submitted my paperwork for the SBR and am wondering what type of stock i need to choose, my friend has a full size AR 15 with a 6 point stock, but his spring is about three times larger then the spring in my Carbine pistol, does this larger spring still work for smaller 223? any advise is welcome, thanks everyone
Karl

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yes, your spring is just stronger. You'll just need the complete stock, it will have the correct spring and buffer.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Your post kind of confused me but here is the deal. There are two lengths of buffer tubes available for the AR15. They are the A2 and carbine length. The carbine length is the one used with the adjustable stocks and are commonly referred to as the M4 style stocks the other is used for fixed stocks. Before you choose which stock to use you must know which carbine length tube you have. There are two different ones and they are different diameters. They are referred to as Mil-Spec size which is 1.14" OD or Commercial size which are 1.17" OD. If you try to put a mi-spec stock on a commercial tube it will either not fit at all or it will be very, very tight and hard to extend. Also you must have the correct buffer and spring to match the tube you are using. They are also tagged as the "A2" and "carbine" models. Check out the offerings from MagPul they have some pretty nice stocks such as the MOE, CTR, and ACS. The MOE and the CTR are offered in either mil-spec or commercial but so far I've only seen the ACS in mil-spec. Hope this info helped.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Some places, like Brownells, offer packages with the stock, buffer tube, buffer, spring etc. That would be a way to get the whole package without having to worry about what size they are.

If you want to go with a Magpul (I have both the CTR and MOE and really like them) just note what size tube you get, mil-spec or commercial, and pick the appropriate one.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The ACS Magpul also is offered in commercial and mil-spec. Midway lists both sizes. I have a ton of AR stocks and for a target rifle the Magpul PRS is top notch. The VLTOR E-Mod and Magpul ACS are my favorite telescoping stocks for low recoiling rounds, and the ACE M4 SOCOM stock (fixed into position) is my favorite for heavier recoiling rounds like the .458 SOCOM. However, it MUST Be fixed into position or it will collapse under recoil if using rounds with more recoil than the 6.8 or 6.5.
The ACE M4 SOCOM stock is also a very good and strong stock for normal use too, but I like the storage compartments on the EMod and ACS.
The ACE M4 SOCOM stock also comes in two lengths, even though both of them are adjustable. The short version uses the CAR length buffer and spring but the long version uses the rifle length buffer and spring. This long version is the ONLY telescoping stock that I know of that uses a rifle length buffer and spring.
A general rule is if the stock telescopes, it uses the CAR length spring and buffer and it does not matter which tube you have on there in regards to commercial or mil-spec except in regards to which stock attaches to the buffer tube. The internal buffer and spring are the same in both commercial and mil-spec buffer tubes.
On the A1 and A2 fixed stocks, they also use the same rifle length buffer and spring although their stocks are slightly different in length. The A2 stock is slightly longer than the A1 but uses the A1 buffer tube with a spacer usually.
Still, you should not be putting an A2 stock on an A1 buffer if the spacer is not present.

Now, when it comes to pistols, there are some pistols that use a special shorter buffer tube, spring, and buffer. However, most pistols use the CAR length spring and buffer but often the tube is of a configuration where no stock can be attached to it. This keeps the ATFE happy. So, if you want to put on a stock you will also need to change the buffer tube. If your pistol uses the CAR length buffer and spring then all you need is the appropriate stock and buffer tube (also called a receiver extension) and you are good to go. The only specialized buffers and springs done for pistols that I can recall off hand are those done by Model 1. They are also generally jam-o-matics. Pistols done on CAR length buffer tubes, buffers, and springs generally run like a bat out of Hades.
If your pistol was done by Spikes or Rock River, it will need a new buffer tube but it uses the standard CAR buffer and spring. So choose your buffer tube and stock so they match and swap them out but you will not need a new buffer and spring. Of course, if you are going to a fixed A2 stock then you will need a new buffer and spring also.
And one last thing. If you are going for a super short fixed "Entry" stock, even though they are fixed it will use the CAR length buffer and spring.
Clear as mud?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts