Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sure would like a AR in 22 mag .. say 14 or 16 in barrel 50 round magazine. . Thought about building what I want .. but not without talking it over with you guys first .. I'm sure there's some here that ether have or know something about what I'm talking about. . And no I don't like the 22lr conversion kit .. I don't want something pretty just a service type arm .. there's some fella building and selling what I'm talking about but he wants a bundle for it
Plant Hat Trigger Gesture Air gun

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
At the price of 22 mag ammo I couldn't afford to feed it. I have the conversion for 22 lr and it can eat up ammo fast enough on it's own.
But it would be something different.(y)

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Woof jimboro, I did a search and a quick read, seems like all others abandoned the idea? Your idea is interesting, but could turn out to be a re-float of the Titanic. I'd rather spend my golden years shooting flies at fifty meters with one of my Cz .22lr rifles. Different challenges for different folks, I suppose?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always admired the 22 mag .. I have a auto pistol and a revolver. . I've been picking up 22 mags for years and got quite a stash. . Just can't get the idea out of my head .. imagine how many of 22wmr you could carry on you .. in a get gone situation or a gone to get one ..A man could go well armed

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I love my 22 Mag bolt action. Great shooter. I like the idea of an auto loader too though. As 7MM noted...they're not giving that ammo away and I have run across times in the last 20 years where it has been hard to find.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,686 Posts
Might be fun with one of the necked-down .17 rimfires, to repel zombie varmit hordes.....

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I would be inclined to go for a 17hmr but like jimboro I'd definitely want to hear from someone who's had one, the 22 mag might be better suited to a self loader, maybe wouldn't make a difference.
As far as putting one together yourself instead of buying one with some sort of assurance/warranty that it'll cycle and not blow cases, too risky for me. The only reason I think that is all the trouble Remington had with the 597 in 22mag and 17hmr, because of the high pressures of those two cartridges manufacturers have had problems with them in semi-auto's. On the other hand there are a few semi-auto guns out there chambered in 22 mag and 17hmr that don't have problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For a semi auto the Savage A22 is available for under $500. I got the A17 with the heavy fluted laminate stock for about $700 and it's as accurate as any bolt rimfire I have. 25 round mags are available and if ya don't like the accutrigger, which I hated, Jard will sell ya an aftermarket for $250. I don't have the A22, but if their as good as the A17, may be an option for you.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
You know Jim I've never owned an auto in 22 mag, my choice would be one of the AR uppers but my opinion is biased because I already have a lower that's ready for one.
Some things to think about, gun parts are hard to come by right know but AR parts seem to be everywhere due to it's popularity.
The AR is to the gun world today what the 10-22 was 20 years ago except it's even more customizable.
Recently my kid and I started shooting NRL22 with my custom AR 22lr, he's pretty tall, 4" taller than I, that instantly adjustable AR stock comes in really handy when it's turn to shoot the gun. He's also ambidextrous so when it suits him he can switch the gun to his left and use the ambi safety, not get hit with hot brass either. As I've said before the 22 mag is one of the best cartridges out there for the aspiring varmint shooter, the AR being more ambidextrous than most bolt or semi-auto's means your left handed kids or grandkids could use it more easily.
Last but not least most of the AR conversions come with a threaded barrel, nice if you have a suppressor.

22 magnum version of this gun, oh yeah!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts