Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,996 Posts
Please reduce the size of your fonts to conform with that of the board.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
6.8 spc is the best for that. .223/5.56, .300blk, 7.62x39, and 6.5 gren will all work, but not with the authority that the 6.8 will. 6.8 ammo is available in a lot of places and cost less than l the others except .223. There are a lot of places making 6.8 spc rifles today. If say it's good on a hog out to 300 yards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with 6.8spc. I am a fan of the 300blk but it doesn't kill as well as the 6.8. 5.56 is not ideal on larger hogs; they will bolt. If you reload might also consider the 6.5 Grendel. Lots of hogs are being shot with it.

If you do go 6.8, buy the 6.8 PRI or other purpose built 6.8 mags. 5.56 mags may work for a few rounds but it's not ideal.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
What about the .450 Bushy or the .458 Socom?
They are a little overkill in my book. And the 6.8 has a way better trajectory and further range. 6.8 is also the easiest to find and is a whole lot cheaper. The .450 bushmaster is a great round though. Just not what I'd recommend if he ever wanted to shoot a lot. 6.8 mags still hold 25 rounds also, so you don't loose much capacity for a gain on firepower.

·
Registered
93 Posts
6.8 Is probably the best all-around caliber in the '15 platform. My second choice would probably be the .458 Socom.

But if you are willing to try an LAR variant then I would say .308 for sure.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Another vote for the 6.8 SPCII. The 6.5 Grendel a close second but only if you reload. Factory ammo for the 6.8 is much more available and reasonably priced. Their are plenty of good options for the AR15 platform for hunting but the 6.8 is the most economical and available.

·
Registered
484 Posts
6.8 Great Choice. 556 will work fine and does for many. I built a 458 SOCOM and a 6.5G for my pig hunting adventures. They both just intrigued me and I do reload. 300Blackout has also become very popular. So the choice is really yours. What calls to you?? Make what you like and have fun doing it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Love my 6.5 grendel. Although I have to order ammo it will out perform the 6.8 past 300. But that won't matter in hog hunting, so 6.8 should be better.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For short range, I like the 300 Blackout. If you are a handloader, practice ammo can be made cheap. Brass is made from 223/5.56. Practically any 30 cal bullet can be used including cast. As a handloader, I think it is the way to go.

JMHO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
6.8 spc is the best for that.
Love my 6.8. Outstanding for hogs.
I've read people say it's the best all-around caliber for those who want to hunt with an AR. I won't disagree with that, though all mine has killed are pigs, oh and one rabbit. Should do a good job on deer, coyotes, whatever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its really all about what you are looking for and how much you want to spend because there are several rounds available in both the AR 15 AR 10 that you can build which will do anything you ask of it from 0 out to 500 yards.

My personal choice is the 300BLK, why? Because of it's easy interchangeability with the 223/556 and ability to use a can making it very quiet. Then again there is also Wilson's 7.62x40 (a 300BLK on steroids) which will out shine the 6.8 and 7.62x39 both.

Then in the AR 10 you have the choice of anything in the 308 family to pick from with only a little added weight (if built right.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts