Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an AR with the standard carry handle / iron sights configuration. Will use it primarily with iron sights, but want the ability to put a scope on it. Looking online, I saw one adapter that runs $65 to $70 that attaches to the carry handle, and several more that look identical but run $10 to $25. The only difference I could see from the descriptions is that the expensive one said it can be removed and reinstalled without loss of zero.

Any experience / feedback / suggestions as to what to use?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The only differences I've noticed is the higher priced ones fit the carry handle tighter. There is a way around using the cheaper models. I make a U shaped shims from brass shim stock (think it's .003") and install them front and rear of the carry handle and squeese the scope mount into place. BTW my cheapie has a U channel so you can still use the iron sites without scope removal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sandman,
I'd say to think about how you intend on using your AR. Do you plan to do occasional/frequent trips to the range to punch holes in paper targets? Or take it out to do some varmint hunting? If the former then I'd say a less expensive mount will do you justice, but if you plan on taking shots at small fuzzy creatures, in my experience, spending the few extra dollars is well worth it in the long run. I bought my AR without the carry handle and front sight post, instead attaching flip sights and a telescopic scope. That said, I have mine set up in this configuration for varmint/coyote with the intentions of not using the fixed sights on a daily basis, but having them if I need them. I guess my suggestion would be to think about how you intend to use your weapon and build upon it based on that intent. Hope this helped some!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
For God's sake man, if you will be using scopes get the A3 flat top with the detachable carry handle. Scopes perched on top of the base which is mounted on top of the carry handle put the stupid scope way up in the stratosphere.
An A3 rifle is not that much, if any, more than an A2. The carry handle when removed will maintain its zero after being replaced. If you have any idea that a scope is going to be used get the flat top. Been there, done that, and learned from my mistakes.
If you must, get the expensive mount. It's worth the extra money. I went the cheap route, bedded the el-cheapo to handle, yada, yada, yada, and it was constantly a PITA. I got an expensive mount and it worked much better even though I still had the problem of the scope being mounted so high.
That rifle now wears a goose-neck mount with a red dot where it co-witnesses with the irons. If I want a scoped rifle I grab one of the flat-tops.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I want to use it for a variety of things, and that is the problem. I mainly want iron sights for use on range and for waterjugs, etc. on the back 40. However I want the ability to put a scope on and shoot some varmints and / or hogs on occasion. Hunting is secondary, and I wanted the classic A2 look.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That is exactly why you need a flat top. When you want irons, throw on the detachable carry handle, when you want a scope, take off the handle and put on the scope. The detachable carry handle retains zero and if you go with a scope mount like Larue or my favorite, Warne Maxima steel AR QD rings, the scope will maintain zero completely also.
This is a .458 SOCOM woody I just finished and is exactly what I am talking about. 15 seconds to change and no tools needed.
When you want irons:

When you want a scope:

·
Registered
817 Posts
I totally agree with Big Bore. Putting a scope on top of a carry handle is a waste. It puts the scope so high up you can't get a proper cheek weld. Get a flat top. It only takes a few turns of a screw to remove the carry handle sight and you can stick your scope right on there, when your done take it off and put the carry handle back on. You could also get one with a picatinny gas block so you can put a flip down front sight on it. That way you can get it out of your way when you are shooting with a scope if you want.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks. The stock is from AR15woodstocks.com, Dan Konrad. It is a AA fancy black walnut with a boiled linseed oil and Japan drier mixture for finish.

One thing I should have mentioned, if the scope you use is 4 power or above, you do not need the front sight to fold out of the way. The scope will see right through it. If you go below 4x then you may see the front sight but at higher powers 4x and above, the front sight will become invisible.

However I agree, a folding front sight is my preference also, either a folding front sight/gas block, a railed gas block and folding front, or a rail mount folding front for use on railed forends with a low-profile gas block under the handguards.
The rifle pictured above actually uses a low profile gas block in the midlength position under the handguards. The folding front sight/gas block serves no gas block function, only a folding front sight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.