Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Can't get more traditional than peep sight and front post. Those were standard equipment on military arms when I served. There's been changes over the years so don't know what is considered normal today. My nephew when he served in Iraq was issued an old style M16A2 with carrying handle. Some of them bought scope mount kits that mounted in the carry handle. Not the best setup but was as good as possible. I'll have to ask what they used for optics and who furnished. Optic use in close quarter combat is absurded but has a place in long range patrol. Unless ones been there and done that its speculation.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My A4 is mounted with the Leupold Mark AR 3-9. Its calibrated turret for 55-grain .223 loads is very slick. I've been very happy for it as a general-purpose rifle. I even used this configuration during a 4-day Practical Rifle course at Front Sight, including using it to win the shoot-off at the last day.

At 3x, it is very respectable for 25-yd shot placement on targets that are expected. It may be a different story when you would prefer to keep both eyes open for scanning.

At higher-power and with the turret calibrated, it really makes for a one-rifle, any-range package, but yes, something else would be preferred for CQB; this being a 20" HBAR anyway.

My CAR has a Trijicon ACOG Reflex on top of the carry handle. I put a cheek piece on it, but it still takes some getting used to. I already know I do not like the Reflex on the A4 with the front sight tower permanently in the way. I will probably get rid of the CAR in favor of an M4 or different platform, maybe just stick with the M1A SOCOM 16, but then it has a scout scope with 2.5x, so that still takes away from the CQB a bit.

Then again, I'm not storming buildings for a living, either. And my Remington 1100 will do nicely if I ever get it back to working (thread on this forum about the fore end not fitting...)

·
Registered
217 Posts
A 3 to 9 will work well for the .223/5.56, I went a little more powerful with my varmint barrel after using a 3 to 9 for a couple years. On my 16 inch I used the 3 to 9 until I realized I never moved it off 6 power, so I bought a six power fixed scope, (it's smaller and lighter than the variable) and I'm happy.

There are some products that allow you to mount a red dot or holo-sight next to the scope these reportedly work well and some are actually affordable, I have no experience with these, but if I get a chance I'm going to try one or two of these set ups.

Regards,
Gene

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
My FAL wears a Bushnell red/green dot sight but my Arsenal Saiga wears its issue iron sights. The red/green dot sight on my FAL is fast but not nearly as fast as my AK.
But then, I tend to shoot close quarters with both eyes open and I just find the irons by muscle memory.

Ive found that if something pops up RIGHT NOW that MUST BE SHOT RIGHT NOW, irons are fastest and magnification slows you down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have one M4 that sports an Aimpoint M4 CCO and my M&P15 OR carbine wears a inexpensive red dot. I have a stainless bull I built on a spike's tactical lower that wears a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14X44 for shooting crows and whistle pigs.

I really like the Aimpoint and will buy another one for my next AR build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts