Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never been clear on this. Most die manufacturers' catalogs show cartridge-specific neck sizing dies (e.g., 7mm-08). However, Hornady sells a caliber-specific neck sizing die (e.g., .284").

Why the difference? And, also, is Lee an exception with their collet (neck) die?

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Lee collet dies are actuated by the bottom of the collet being pushed up by the shell holder, so they have to be made for the length of a particular cartridge case.

Neck sizing does not touch the rest of the case, ideally, which is why a universal neck die with changeable caliber neck bushings and expanders is a theoretical possibility, but most makers size the die body to match a particular cartridge case so they touch down on the shell holder as the neck finishes sizing. Without that, you have to be careful you don't set a die too low and mash the case shoulder.

The Lee die is a unique design, incidentally, and makes the straightest cases. The accuracy potential is better than most and the cost is least. An unusual combination. Neck sized cases get too tight and have to be set back after awhile. Some find they do better set back a thousandth or so at each neck sizing. The Redding body does that job without touching the neck. Combining one of those with the Lee Collet Die might be close to ideal?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Only problem I've run into with standard neck sizing dies is some of my cartridges have bigger bodies than what the one-size-fits-all die will accomodate. Then, I have to get a cartridte specific die to do the job.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the Hornady .264" (universal) on my 6.5-06 Ackley, and--once set up--it does the entire neck with no risk of fouling up the shoulder. I really like my cartridge-specific Lee collet dies, but, for a wildcat, I'm leaning towards saving around $30 and getting the Hornady over a custom-made Lee.

·
Registered
94 Posts
With a cartridge-specific neck sizing die, there are times when they may be used for another cartridge of the same caliber. For example, you could neck size a .30-06 in a .308 RCBS neck sizing die after carefully adjusting it. However, you couldn't size the .308 in a .30-06 die because the latter is too deep. As someone else here has said, case diameter limits interchangeability too.

Same comment applies for the use of taper crimp dies.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,196 Posts
As a rule yes, but rules are made to be broken. I use my .223 Lee collet die to neck size my .222's as well. Seems to work great even though it only sizes about 1/8 of an inch of the necks.

RJ

·
Banned
415 Posts
I use the Hornady .264" (universal) on my 6.5-06 Ackley, and--once set up--it does the entire neck with no risk of fouling up the shoulder. I really like my cartridge-specific Lee collet dies, but, for a wildcat, I'm leaning towards saving around $30 and getting the Hornady over a custom-made Lee.
Well, if they're as good as I hear, I figure the one time I'll have to buy a custom die set for a caliber is worth it. The custom collet die set cost me $55. I also got them to throw in a Full Length sizer, which will essentially give me a Deluxe die set. That cost me another $20, and $5 for shipping the whole set. This was for my .270 WSM. Haven't tried the Lee dies yet, but Stretch has given me high expectations!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if they're as good as I hear, I figure the one time I'll have to buy a custom die set for a caliber is worth it. The custom collet die set cost me $55. I also got them to throw in a Full Length sizer, which will essentially give me a Deluxe die set. That cost me another $20, and $5 for shipping the whole set. This was for my .270 WSM. Haven't tried the Lee dies yet, but Stretch has given me high expectations!
Well, for $80 for a 3-die set and shipping, SOLD! I'll give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts