Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a new Sako A7 Big Game 30-06, mounted a new Steiner GS3 4-20x50 on it and sighted it in last night. Did a quick 25 yard laser bore sight and then took one shot at 50 yards. Bullet was 1/4" high and perfect in windage. Moved the target out to 100 yards and fired the next shot, 2.5" high and perfect on windage. Next shot was a bullseye. Shot a total of 15 shots and the rifle was grouping .197" (best) to .34". Far better than the guaranteed 1 MOA with 5 shots. Took the rifle home and cleaned it and after a brush with solvent and 3 or 4 patches the barrel was clean!

In all my years of shooting (40+) I have never had a rifle perform this well and have a clean barrel so quickly. I am wondering why? Are the barrels hand lapped and then tested at the factory before shipping?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
All European and South African built rifles have their barrels stress relieved and "hand lapped" and should be .5 MOA off the shelf. Therefore they are not overly sensitive to barrel heating. Very few are free floated but have an upwards pressure point about 2/3s down the font end of the stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran a piece of thick paper between the barrel and stock for the entire length and it never touched so I am assuming the the barrel it completely free floated.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
That could very well be for the American market - sorry, spoke from my experience with four SAKOs here in the home country.

·
Premium Member
15,427 Posts
Sakos are all hammer forged now. Machine lapping is probably part of the process but I don't know for sure. I'd rather have a machine lap a bore than Hamhanded Harry!

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
You could ask Sako. Their customer service is very friendly and will answer any question you have. I like the Sako 85 and Sako A7 rifles a lot! Congrats on your rifle, it is a keeper. The only thing I don't like about Sako rifles is the price tag attached to them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Even the entry level Tikka line of rifles that Beretta/Sako offers is made the same way. I have (2) Tikka T3 Lites, one is 223 and other is 270WSM, BOTH were very accurate out of the box, very quick and easy to clean.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Probably machine-polished but you can be sure that the mandrels WILL be perfectly polished and after polishing the barrels WILL be stress relieved and even if polishing was done manually Erik and his son Erik jnr. will NOT be ham handed. Sako sells huge numbers of rifles in many calibres worldwide but does NOT skimp on quality because of that. Engineers and rifleman run those manufacturers and not bookkeepers.

Reactions: joe12180

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sako's are known for having very good barrels and triggers right out of the box. I would assume there is at least a little bit of finish work on the inside of their forged barrels.

In addition to Sako's having free floated barrels. Tikka's, the newer Sauer's and Steyr's and Mauser M12 have floated barrels that are manufactured on the other side of the pond.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
My Model 85 Hunter matched set (.243W / .270W/ 30-06/ .375 H&H bought from 1985-1988 all had pressure points, like the BRNOs (and Mannlichers of earlier times) as well as Sauer and Steyr. Of course then Howa and Tikka were unknown names. It seems that when these, and the CZs started entering the US market it was clear to them that the preference here is for free floating.

That topic is worthy of a thread in itself as in essence there has not been proof that either design is more consistent than the other. Sure, when a barrel has not been properly stress relieved any touching as it heats up will change the whip-torque or torque-whip pattern as the bullet passes through the bore but not so with a properly manufactured barrel from the best steel.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
... and despite that massive consortium continue to produce high quality guns without the often read spin that local poor quality is because of the big demand. Pride of workmanship and control and testing of quality in design and production, or the opposite, is a culture. Like firearms or aviation safety is a culture.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
... and despite that massive consortium continue to produce high quality guns without the often read spin that local poor quality is because of the big demand. Pride of workmanship and control and testing of quality in design and production, or the opposite, is a culture. Like firearms or aviation safety is a culture.

Unlike most business Beretta been in busing since 1520 and is still owned by the same family.

Corporate Governance - Beretta Holding S.p.A.

You have family members in every part of that business

https://qz.com/88604/berettas-ceo-a...nse-to-ask-buyers-why-they-want-lots-of-guns/

If they sold that company it be just like another Corp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts