Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Albertson's the other day and bought a bar of Kirk's Castile Soap made from coconut oil. For years I've been under the impression that Castile Soap is made strictly from olive oil but apparently it can be made from any vegetable oil.

Anyway, I saw a lube recipe a couple years ago in "The Fouling Shot" that I've been meaning to try which lists "Kirk's Castile Soap" as an ingredient. Not being one to waste time and money, I'm wondering if it'll make a difference whether I use the olive or coconut oil based Kirk's. It appears the old olive oil based Kirk's I used to see lurking about has vanished. This doesn't surprise me since coconut oil based soaps lather much better than olive oil based soaps (I think due to the high concentration of lauric acid).

Here are the compositions of the two oils in terms of percent fatty acids:

Olive: 85 oleic, 7 palmitic, 5 linoleic, 2 stearic
Coconut: 45 lauric, 20 myristic, 7 palmitic, 5 stearic, 4 oleic

I relize these don't add up to 100 percent in either case, but that's the best I can do for now.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Felix lube is supposed to be a good one.
http://www.castpics.net/RandD/felix_lube/felix_lube.htm

If you order the “Cast Bullet Lubricants” papers from the http://www.hanned.com/ you'll get enough recipies to keep you going to Christmas, next year. I really haven't counted them, there's 50 at least. That's allowing for similar recipies by different inventors and recipies requiring ingredients that are no longer available. Most of the proprietary lubes are mentioned too.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
639 Posts
Found this somewhere out on the Internet. . .

Everyone and their brother has their own ideas about what is the best bullet lube to use. Regardless, they all must: prevent leading, protect (or at least not damage) the bore and not 'melt out' and kill powder. These recipes are collected from various sources and go back as far as 100 years to as recent as this year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ideal Handbook #15
Horace Kephart's Lube
Tom Ballard's Lube(?)
Niedner Mixture
Herrick Mixture
Henry Beverage Lube
Charlie Dell #36
Charlie Dell #48
Charlie Dell #53
Manny, Hil, & Metzler
Leopold #245
Harvey Donaldson's
N. H. Roberts #1
N. H. Roberts #2
Roderick #1 Hard
Roderick #2 Medium
Pope Lube
Barry Darr #1
Barry Darr #2
Buck Emmert's

Bullet Lube Recipes
Ideal Handbook #15
From the Ideal Handbook, ca. 1904:
Recipe #1: Three parts beeswax to two parts cylinder oil
Recipe #2: Vaseline with enough parafin as required to harden it
Recipe #3: Japan wax with sperm whale oil to soften it
Notes:
'Japan Wax' is the wax of the carnauba tree. Commonly used as ski wax.
Horace Kephart's Lube
From the Ideal Handbook, ca. 1904:
"Melt over a slow fire three parts of of crude ozocerite and two parts vaseline. That is all there is to it. The proportions may be varied to suit individual notions; but I have found that the above compund needs no modification for any range of temperature that we have at St. Louis. "
From Sharpe:
"Horace Kephart's lubricant. Crude ozocerite, 3 parts; vaseline, 2 parts. Melt together in a double boiler. If too hard for your rifle, soften it by adding more vaseline." Notes:
Horace Kephart is the designer of the Kephart style of bullet.
Ozocerite is a mineral wax dug out of the ground like coal. The refined wax goes under the name cerasine. The refined version does not work as well as the crude.
Tom Ballard
From a conversation with a friend:
"Half beeswax, half toilet wax"
This is what I was told when I found a coffee can marked 'Tom's Magic Lube' in a friends reloading room.
Notes:
Tom Ballard is a mould maker here in Montana
'Toilet Wax' is, I am told, the wax gasket applied when installing a toilet. Stranger things have been used.
Niedner Mixture
From Sharpe's Handloading:
Japan Wax Acheson's graphite #1340
"To a half pound of of melted Japan Wax add four heaping tablespoons of powdered Acheson's graphite #1340. The melted mixture must not be too hot, and the graphite must be added a little at a time and stirred continuously. When the entire amount has been added, remove the mixture from the heat supply, and continue stirring. This is very important. If left to stand in a melted mixture the graphite will seperate from the wax.
Notes:
I have no idea about the Acheson's #1340
'Japan Wax' is the wax of the carnauba tree. Commonly used as ski wax.
Herrick Mixture
From Sharpe's Handloading:
Japan Wax Beeswax Cylinder or castor oil
"...equal parts of beeswax and Japan wax with a small quantity of cylinder oil or castor oil, the latter added primarily to soften the mass...the smallest amount should be used. The oil will 'sweat out' if lubricated bullets or loaded cartridges are stored for several months."
Notes:
Henry Beverage Lube
From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Yellow vaseline 2 oz. mutton tallow 4 oz. japan wax 10 oz. beeswax 6 oz. crude ozocerite 6 oz. gunslick grease 1 tube per 6 oz. of mixture
Notes:
Formula atrributed to Leopold
Charlie Dell #36
From Shooter's Talk:
Lithium stearate - 1 part by weight 600W worm gear oil - 1 part beeswax - 1 part lanolin - 1 part synaceti - 1 part
Mix everything except the beeswax at about 400 degrees F. Mix will melt, then jell, then melt again. Pour in the melted beeswax and bring back up to heat until it all melts and no gel remains.
Notes:
Synaceti 125 is available from some candle shops and is a substitute for spermacetti.
Charlie Dell #48
Beeswax - 10 parts by weight Peanut oil - 5 parts anhydrous lanolin - 4 parts lithium stearate - 5 parts gunslick grease - 1 tube per 6 oz. of mixture
The waxes and oils are melted together and allowed to cool until they just start to harden. Then the Li stearate is mixed in. It will look like tan mud. Reheat and keep raising the temp. stirring at frequent intervals. First it will start to gel and turn translucent, then will finally melt around 400F. It must be poured into moulds at this point because when the temp drops slightly it will gel again.
Notes:
Charlie Dell #53
Beeswax 20 gm. anhydrous lanolin 5 gm. castile soap (Kirks) 2 gm. castor oil 5 gm.
Notes:
Manny, Hil, & Metzler
Tallow 1 oz. ozocerite 2 oz. japan wax 2 oz. beeswax 5 oz. steam cyl. oil 1 oz.
Notes:
This is probably an excellent pan lube
Leopold #245 - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Japan wax 4 1/2 oz. tallow 9 oz. ozocerite 1 1/2 oz. lye 1/2 oz. rosin 1/2 oz. water 8 oz.
Boil until froth disappears. Mix, boil with lye and water, cool and remove cake from water, wash and form into sticks for pump. High melting point, not for pan lube.
Notes:
This is probably typical of Leopolds formulas.
Donaldson's Lube - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Beef tallow 6 oz. beeswax 4 oz. rosin 2 oz.
Notes:
Harvey Donaldson was a responsible for several cartridges inc. the .219 Donaldson Wasp.
N.H. Robert's #1 - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Beeswax 6 oz. beef tallow 2oz steam cyl. oil 3 tsp.
Notes:
Ned Roberts was the designer of the .257 Roberts ------------------------------------------------------------------------
N.H. Robert's #2 - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Crude Ozocerite 1 part yellow beeswax 1 part Japan wax 1 part mutton tallow 1 part
Notes:
Ned Roberts was the designer of the .257 Roberts
Roderick #1 Hard - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Beeswax 4 oz. mutton tallow 3 1/8 oz. Mobil 600 wt, steam cyl. oil 7/8 oz.
Notes:
For use at 80 deg. F and above
Roderick #2 Medium - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Beeswax 3 1/8 oz. Mutton tallow 4 oz. Mobil 600 wt. steam cyl. oil 7/8 oz.
Notes:
For use between 55 and 80 deg. F
Pope Lube - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Beeswax 2 oz. Bayberry wax 4 oz. mutton tallow 6 oz. steam cyl. oil 2 oz. Acheson graphite #1340 170 gr.
Notes:
If you don't know who Harry Pope was, your mommy shouldn't be letting you play with bullets.
Barry Darr #1 - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Paraffin 50% Vasaline 50% old RCBS case lube 1 tbs per lb. of mix
Notes:
Barry Darr #2 - From the Cast Bullet Mailing List (CB-L):
Paraffin 50% Vasaline 50%
Notes:
Same as Barry Darr #1 but minus the RCBS case lube

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts everyone.

Forest Punch...
Follow the link that Jack provided. The Felix lube recipe is how I got interested in lube making several years ago. Post back if you have any questions.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
I blanked out Forest's email address in his post at his request. The practice of putting your address in a post is a bit of a security problem, since anyone reading your post can pick it up and use it for unethical purposes. It's better to email through the forum or send a Personal Message, as no one can see your address except the person you're sending it to, if you use email, and no one at all if you use a Personal Message.

Bye
Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts