Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Albertson's the other day and bought a bar of Kirk's Castile Soap made from coconut oil. For years I've been under the impression that Castile Soap is made strictly from olive oil but apparently it can be made from any vegetable oil.

Anyway, I saw a lube recipe a couple years ago in "The Fouling Shot" that I've been meaning to try which lists "Kirk's Castile Soap" as an ingredient. Not being one to waste time and money, I'm wondering if it'll make a difference whether I use the olive or coconut oil based Kirk's. It appears the old olive oil based Kirk's I used to see lurking about has vanished. This doesn't surprise me since coconut oil based soaps lather much better than olive oil based soaps (I think due to the high concentration of lauric acid).

Here are the compositions of the two oils in terms of percent fatty acids:

Olive: 85 oleic, 7 palmitic, 5 linoleic, 2 stearic
Coconut: 45 lauric, 20 myristic, 7 palmitic, 5 stearic, 4 oleic

I relize these don't add up to 100 percent in either case, but that's the best I can do for now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts everyone.

Forest Punch...
Follow the link that Jack provided. The Felix lube recipe is how I got interested in lube making several years ago. Post back if you have any questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts