Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

My hunting buddy I think is being taken for a ride. He and I would shoot trap a lot and we would break 22/23 birds every round. Now he dropped down into the teens. He hasn't changed anything. Someone told him about a guy in WI who is in the "know"!!!!! This guy told him to bring the shotgun to his shop. My buddy drove the 300 round trip to his shop and the guy told him he has a left handed shotgun. (My hunting buddy shoots right handed). I know that there are left handed bolt action rifles and left handed pump shotguns but my friend has a RUGER RED LABEL UNDER AND OVER. Is this possible. I've hunted for many, many years and never heard of a left handed u/o. There were no left handed rifles, pistols or shotguns in the marine corps. There were no left handed shotguns issued while I spent 23 yrs in law enforcement and non now in the government office I work in.
Maybe if its custom made but not over the counter???????? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You could have a left-handed O/U in the sense that the cast of the stock and the cheek piece (if any) could be designed to fit the lefty, and the operating lever could be set to move the opposite way to open the action in a more convenient manner for a lefty. I've never heard of Ruger making a Red Label in this manner; it's possible someone had one converted, but the stock of the Red Label is generic enough that I doubt it has any cast-on/cast-off features that would affect the right-handed/left-handed fit.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
When I switched from a Model 12 Winchester to a Beretta S-58 O/U I had a similar problem as your friend. When I went to the Beretta Factory The gunsmith there had me mount the two diferent guns, and ended up adjusting the pitch of the stock on the Beretta. [Problem solved.] If I was him, I would find a smith that specializes in shotguns. The smith will probably have him mount the gun to see if it fits him properly. A shotgun that doesn't doesn't hit.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
It's all about stock fit in that game. Maybe the smith is on to something? See what the local clay target shooters think. Try some of their guns if possible.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Could be a left cast, but that's highly debateable, and a replacement GraCoil type system can easily change it. Red Labels don't have adjustable combs or raised cheekpieces.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)

Thanks for the help gents!!! I will pass it on to my buddy.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts