Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had these sitting around for years. I believe some have been reloaded. I've heard that just the boxes can have some value.

Any guess? I wouldn't mind getting rid of them for something I can actually shoot....

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can't get you a price, but I would sure love to have them. Are they empty boxes or are they full? This may help determine a value. I have a few old boxes of ammo and I personally would be opt to pay a little more with a full box of ammo over an empty box.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't get you a price, but I would sure love to have them. Are they empty boxes or are they full? This may help determine a value. I have a few old boxes of ammo and I personally would be opt to pay a little more with a full box of ammo over an empty box.

They are full, but I think most are reloaded and some of the brass is pretty tarnished. Some have high primers so that's my suspicion. I bought a fellas gun collection awhile back and these came with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
If they are reloads, they should be pulled down as unsafe. Reloads are often developed to operate at the maximum of the owner's rifle, which might be greater than the next fellow's, so they present a liability risk to you if you sell them. The bullets, brass, and primers can usually be salvaged, but the powder should be sprinkled on the lawn for fertilizer, since it can't be reliably identified. Even if it is clearly identical to powder you got in an opened canister from the same source, you can't be sure the can contains what the label says.

Values for things tend to vary with locale. The Internet has equalized that some, and I recommend you look at a gun auction site to get some idea what the boxes might be worth? Twenty years ago older, but not really old boxes like yours might get a couple dollars at a gun show. These days, I don't know?

·
Registered
445 Posts
As a cartridge collector shotshells are the easiest to get started with. There are so many varity's and are quite cheap with a few exceptions. Reloads are a no-no for collectors and can only be tolerated in wildcat form.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ammo Safety & Collectability

I have a somewhat small collection of loaded ammo. It is thrown in an old cigar box on a top shelf somewhere. There are only about 30 pieces in my "collection".

Firstly,I would say that reloaded ammo is worth virtually zip. Also, from a safety standpoint,if the origin is unknown,I would consider it somewhat a dangerous thing to have laying around. Someone could try it in their weapon and the results could be devastating. Aside from that the reloads would have no collectors value and a normally gold primer that is now silver would make me go, hmmmmmm ?? For a collection be be worth anything(even to me personally)it would have to be all original.

Also for me,I would want all completely live rounds in my collection. NO dummy loads or headspace test loads. All types of bullets would be acceptable. Even the new,modern ones. The brass would have to be somewhat clean also. Steel casings would have to have the origional lacquer coating in tact.

I have a friend that has a good collection going. He has about 120 pieces so far and has been at it for some 5 years now. He is what I call and "active" collector. He is in constant communication with other collectors trading info on where to buy and what to buy. He has several pieces of the old English/African stuff that he paid $50-$150 for. (505,577,600,etc) He also has some military experimental casings in his collection. One of the first 25MM's comes to mind.

His collection sits in a cherry box,that has multiple shelves,and back lighting. His wife will not allow him to put in the living room so it is mounted on the wall of his reloading room for his enjoyment only. ------pruhdlr

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm no collector, my understanding is some like old boxes with patina....No plans to get either an 8x57 or 35 rem. If a feller wanted some old looking boxes and the possibility of some usable brass, a box of shootable CoreSnots in a caliber of my battery will get'em...or less for that matter

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
Not sure what anyone would do with core snot? ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would you want something that may be collectable or are you dead set on shooting ammo? I have some Remington dog bone box 32 Win. Special factory loads and another box partially filled with mt's.PM me with your needs anyway, I might have something you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts