Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my hunting partner the other day and mentioned that I have yet to see a woman write anything in any of the forums I belong to. He said thats because women are intimidated by guns do any of you know of avid women handgun shooters:confused:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Not to be a smart-alec, but it's kind of hard to verify someone's age, sex, marital status, etc., on Internet chat rooms and bulletin boards. So I wouldn't make any assumptions about the percentages of men/women on the boards.

I do see women shooters at the ranges I go to, not as many as the men but they are there.

My wife has shot two deer, but with a rifle, not handgun.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right mike, I just did some profile checking and still couldn't come up with any. I just thought it would be nice to have a womans point of view on some of these threads. My wife used to be a shooter but came up with an eye problem where she can't line up the sights anymore. It has a name but I can't spell it let alone pronounce it. Maybe it's a man thing don't ya know!
Bob

·
Banned
65 Posts
We have 4 or 5 women in our gun club who are quite active, one is a gun lobbyist in Santa Fe. We had a program at the range in December where we introduced women to guns and let them shoot. We had a very good turnout (12-15). They are out there, but they don't seem to be too many with the passion for it like guys have. I saw two young girls at the gun show last weekend (21-24) who were selling a gun and having a good time, it was the first time I had seen a couple of young girls, alone, at a show who actually knew about guns and were participating. It was really nice to see.

I know most of the girls/women I have known over the years have all been pretty good shots; those that would actually try it anyway. Women don't overanalyze shooting like we tend to do. We will concentrate on breathing, focusing on the sights, remembering bullet drop, etc., and still, sometimes, blow the shot, while most women just shoot the dang target, AND MOSTLY HIT IT. My wife is a natural shot with a DA revolver. She has a S&W Model 64 and she will outshoot me and not even think about it, but she is not a "gun nut" like me and most of my buds. They are out there, but we just don't run across them that much.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
J.P.
Like you, my wife can outshoot me any day. I claim it is due to "younger" eyes....
I agree that most women do not get too deep into shooting but the ones that learn to shoot later in life seem to be very good at it. The San Angelo Gun Club has a number of women involved in the manegement of the club and in IPSC shooting.
There is a Nursing Instructor here who is in her '60's, she is a plate shooter, she's not fast fast but she is good. My wife is a reloader and bullet caster. she prefers to be my quality control when it comes to casting, but she handles the lighter aluminum molds well.
I have heard there are a number of women involved in Cowboy shooting but I have never seen a Cowboy match.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The coach of my shooting team in college always told us that the woman's anatomy was more suited to being a more accurate shot in all different field positions. Their weight is distributed differently, often more in the chest than men, obviously. They don't have anything to hamper while squirming to get into a better prone position and they have better balance than men. He said he was told this by a gov't instructor and that it was a result of a study to see which sex would potentially be better shooters for sniping and such. It could be BS, but it might not, who knows.
Selmer

·
Banned
738 Posts
Well, I have to say yes.
My wife and I went to the range weekend before last, and it was the first time in about three years she had been shooting.
Since the last time she has developed Carpal Tunnel in both hands due to abuse on the job.
Anyway I tried to get her to shoot the .22's, she said no, give me the .357. She used mainly .38's in it, but did very well.
Kept most of here shots in the standard bull at 7 yards. Then when we tried a special target and she blew the center out of it. Told me: "Print more of those". Yes dear.
I agree that we males have a tendency to over achieve when we try to shoot. I think it's part ego and part competitivness.
Gals just blow the crap out of the targets and enjoy themselfs.
As for gals on the forums, there are more than we know. Late last year I joined The Firing Line and found many women there. Some are moderators, some just members. But for the most part you can't tell by their forum names who is a gal or not.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My wife deer hunts with me and she shoots very well. She has even come to a few shoots with me, but was not impressed with the bs macho attitude. There are always a few at the range or in the sporting goods shops that think women should cook not shoot. Some "men" are rude and crude, and have the attitude that if you don't like it go home where you belong. I have been told by some that they would not want their wife with them, it is their time away. I prefer my wife's company!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
My wife likes to shoot, but cannot outshoot me. I'm guessing that 15 years, with a few lulls, worth of pretty continuous shooting may have something to do with it. She is a a fair hand with her Ruger 45/22 (Valentines present from a few years ago, still married) and an old 788 in 6mm that I use to shoot Coyotes. Last week she talked ME into a family membership at the indoor range in town because she likes to shoot her pistol. She doesn't hunt, says she doesn't think she could shoot animals, but she certainly does like venison, pheasant, etc. I think one of the keys to the continuation of our sport and rights, short of revolution, will be to do what we can to include people who otherwise would not be involved in the shooting/hunting sports and to help break down the barriers to their entry into these sports. I like to go shooting with my wife, if I want time to myself, I head for the bar, I know she doesn't want any part of that.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I know of a few women who can outshoot me accuracy wise. Both my wife and my ex. My wife is a very good shot when she dicedes to shoot. My ex almost made the US Olympic Small Bore Silhoute team. I'm the tactical shooter more worried about speed/accuracy, they are just for accuracy.

As far as women posting there's quite a few on AR15.com

·
Banned
548 Posts
My experience has been that killing is a serious issue for a high percentage of females...its hard to be born with the ability to create life inside of your own body and feel otherwise. This spills over into firearms and shooting in general.

Some of the best female shooters are also naturalists, as they recognize the necessity of harvesting game in a managed way, and get a lot of experience hunting. Of course, many 1000 yard bench records have been set by females.

I don't think that there is any measurable difference in range scores between male and female police officers, and I know there isn't in military basic training.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I can tell you by my own personal experience as the founder, chief instructor, and former president of the shooting club at the University of Pittsburgh, that women are FAR better shooters than most guys will give credit. In fact, I'd rather train 50 gals in gun safety than 1 meathead who watches Steven Segal movies. Women are much more keen to listen to what you say and "do it right" the first time. During my tenure as head honcho at Pitt, we trained well in excess of 200 first timers. I never had the slightest problem with the women. They were safe and generally displayed better accuracy quicker than many men with the same level of experience.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't know about handguns but I watched a woman from York PA take a 100 yd heavy benchrest match 30 years ago with a .222 Rem (0.224 diam): her group size was 0.225". The moving backer verified 5 clean shots. Wish I could shoot that well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
well I guess I'm truly blessed. I have a whole passel a good women shooters in my house. The wife just took up huntin' this past year and took a runnin' Muley that I missed while it was standin' still. With a muzzleloader yet. She shot PPC on our local gun club team and IHMSA pistol matches real well too.
My Daughter was one of the best archery or .22 rifle shooters at our county 4H shoots for a number of years. When she started datin' one of her favorites was to take the lad out in our back fourty and shoot some a the prarie dogs. Most of em were amased at how she could knock em over away out there.
Now I gota 3yr old Grand Daughter and she loves ta help Papa reload. So's I think she will foller her Mom and Grandma's footsteps and be a purty fair shot someday too.
:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I can outshoot my wife all day long on a rifle or handgun.

But she has outgunned me with an M60 and can field strip it in half the time.

It's good having a wife who was the company Armorer for 2 years.

Her big sister just got married. She can take a deer from in the crosshairs to on the table and every step between. Her dad did a great job.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Women Shooters

Pooter/Shooter
Son your lucky there isn't any on this board!! I can hear them screaming now:D Yes I know quite a few women that shoot and quite a few I wouldn't mind being on my shoulder in a gun fight or facing down a charging Griz!!! Then again there are quite a few gentlemen shooters I wouldn't want to be within a country mile of, get my drift!!!:cool: And when it comes to guns I'm very choosy about who I shoot with.;)

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Consider: (and this would be a generic "most women" rather than a specific woman):

Plus:

1. Women have fewer poor habits to unlearn as most of them didn't spend thair childhood shooting cap guns and BB guns, holding them the "wrong" way or slapping the trigger. UNlearing a habit is a lot harder than starting with good habits.

2. They are build on a more stable platform...more weigh to the ground and a wide hip stance.

Minus:

1. Rifles: less muscle mass ON the shoulder. Without the padding, recoil does hurt more.

2. Smaller hands, less area to absorb recoil (can fit it with grips/stocks that fit, but they will be smaller, so the existing recoil is directed at a smaller area).

------------

I never told my wife a thing about recoil (handguns), just let her shoot everyting I owned. When se picked her first handgun, she picked a Colt .45...because it felt "about right" to her. tried her on revolvers, but she never could shoot well with them.

In rifles, she needs a light recoiling gun (and double hearing protection...don't get twice the reduction, but do get a bit more than just one...so she uses plugs and muffs when at the range). Her gun is an .250Savage.

In Shot guns, she doesn't really get the idea of wing shooting...I'll have to get her some professional help here if she wants to hunt. Still uses a 12ga., but with the light 7/8oz loads in Ruger O/U.

...Been 23 years, she still shoots the same .45 Colt (named "Fred" and engraved on the slide)...but for everyday carry, she picked a Glock 26 (her choice...and this one is named "Fugly" and the engraver refuses to engrave another Glock slide).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just a side note - the Russians trained over 2000 women as snipers during WW2 and I believe that they recorded about 10 to 20 thousand kills during the war! The history channel had a special on snipers and the history of sniping. Getting back to women as shooters - I agree that there are a lot of women who are very good shots and would enjoy hunting if they had less hassle from the Neandrathals (sp) among us! It's good to see that there are a lot of people here encouraging women to hunt and target shoot! CEJ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts