Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site, and boy do I need help.

Just picked up an Arisaka Type 38, and man this thing was gritty inside.

Lots of pitting and discoloration on the bolt assembly, though luckily the pitting is VERY shallow.

Once I tore it down, I noticed that I will definitely need a new firing pin. http://s9.postimage.org/7xpdyhihb/P1240071.jpg

Any idea where I can find one?

Issue number two:

I'm not sure how it is possible, but the follower on this thing sticks up way too far, so much so, that I cant put the bolt forward without manually pressing down on the follower. it also seems to sit way too far to the left in the magazine box.
http://s9.postimage.org/axx1njf0v/P1230060.jpg

Any suggestions?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,001 Posts
www.e-gunparts.com (Numrich Arms) for the firing pin.

As to the follower - this is the way military rifles, especially the Mausers (which the Arisaka is based on) use the follower to rise up and stop the bolt from forward movement when the magazine is empty. Perfectly natural. Some civilian owners file down the raised portion of the follower in a slope to allow the bolt to override the follower. If you want to retain this as true military, don't do it.

As to being too far to the left, this is probably again just a quirk of the particular type of action.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tough Rifle

I picked one up very cheaply (45 bucks) about 30 years ago from a guy who thought it was broke because he couldn't get the bolt closed. It was just the magazine follower which pops up in front of the bolt face when the magizine is empty. Easy fix with a smooth file and some emery cloth. I subsequently sporterized it since there was no rust anywhere inside or out and it turned out to be a very utilitarian deer rifle. Of course I shortened and crowned the barrel, removed the old rear ladder sight and installed new sights front and rear, reblued it, restocked it, installed sling swivels and a sling. I garnered some bargain priced military ammo for it, pulled the bullets, powder and primers and reloaded them with Sierra 140 grain 6.5mm spitzer bullets over W764 ball powder, keeping pressure at safe levels, and took it to the range. It did surprisingly well since the bore was in good shape to begin with. It's not real pretty with the goofy looking cocking piece the Japanese used, but it's solid and tough and has taken several mule deer at relatively short range (100 yds or less). I can't scope it because, even with the bolt turn down job I did on it, it still turns up too high to avoid hitting the scope even with the highest mounts I can get. Maybe see-through or tip-off mounts would work, but the open sights are fine for me.
Frankly, though, if yours is rusted and pitted too badly, especially in the bore, I'd not bother putting any money or time into it. It's probably seen jungle duty and that's hard on a gun. If it's a battle field pick up, that could be even worse since it could have lain in the mud and water for a long time before being retrieved.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
The follower on staggered box magazines will appear be "off-center", usually toward the left side of the action.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
The Arisaka rifles can be scoped with a "scout" type mount or with an off-set to the left. It's hard to see in this picture, but this is a Type-99 with the scope off-set to the left of center. It is sighted in 2" high at 100, which puts it pretty close to dead on at 200, although the POI is a little to the left of center, at that distance. It isn't enough to matter for big-game hunting, though. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.