Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new guy here, and had a question I couldn't find an answer to via the search function.

I'm looking for a cheap O/U shotgun for trap. I've got a Mossberg 500 right now, but have always wanted an O/U. But I'm not made of money and can't afford even a Red Label at this point. I noticed the EAAs, Baikals, and a couple of other brands out there in the sub $500 range, and they caught my interest, but I've since been warned off due to problems like 'easily' broken firing pins, etc.

I stopped by my friendly local gunshop recently where I found a used Arius (Italian) model 2735 20ga O/U, 26 3/4" barrels, nicely engraved, for $300. I have no knowledge of this brand, and can't find a thing about it on the web.

Can anyone comment on these guns? Good price? I'm leaning toward a 20ga 'cause after a day of 12ga trap my shoulder is in pretty bad shape, though a co-worker claims this is just because of the Mossberg's poor ergonomics and recoil pad. Comments, suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
I've shot a lot of trap with a Rem. 1100. In my opinion it's a pretty good trap gun, if the stock fits you, with a barrel length of between 26 and 30 inches. You can occasionally find a factory trap or skeet gun too.

I would actually prefer one of these to any over/under, even for doubles, and should be able to find them for a decent price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks! Doesn't seem to be a real popular maker, to say the least. There's not a thing on the web about them. You know you're in trouble when the only links Google can find come up to video gaming sites, with a player's name that matches the maker's name... :)

Upon further inspection of the one I found in the shop, the stock had been cut down and the length of pull was much too short for me.

Back to using my Mossberg for trap, at least for now. Oh well, it's better than not shooting. Haven't done trap in a couple of years, and will be going tomorrow afternoon, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks again,

-- Sam

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Will have to put a word in for Baikal. The low end model is listed by one or two compaines in the $240-$250 range and the one I play with hasn't been a bad gun at all. Stock fits well, balance is fine, and my scores are about the same as with others costing 4X as much.

7 1/2 pounds, but balances well...the action is a bit deep and "chunky"...not in love with the simple bolting, but it seems to work and keep on working.

One thing...the stocking includes cast-off, so if you are left handed, forget it. I find a bit of cast off helps my shooting (and keeps the stock from wacking my cheek)...but it took a bit to get use to it...and time to get un-use to it when i pick up a straight stocked gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts