Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read the article about lapping a barrel in the new Rifle magazine # 198 by John Barsness? He does not say many good things about it. He thinks that it mainly cleans up the throat area of the barrel and does not do much for the rest of the barrel.

He also recomends stroking the bore with a bore brush wrapped with a rag coated with lapping  compound, I thought I read here not to do that, that you could over do it easily. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Mr. Barness should have researched firelapping before he did it.  It appears he didn't know that Ross Seyfried, Veral Smith, Marshall Stanton, David Tubb & the Precision Shooting Magazine crowd have done it and wrote it up.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
It seems to me that Mr. Barsness' article was pretty focused on bolt-action rifles (presumably without iron sights), which is an entirely different thing to lap than say, a revolver or even a lever-action rifle with deep dovetail cuts in the barrel.  Also it seems that he primarily shoots jacketed bullets.

So, his conclusions are probably valid, for the boundaries that he is working in.  Unfortunately I have not really seen any firelapping articles in the mainstream shooting publications that covered what firelapping does for all types of guns/bullets/uses.  (I've seen Ross' articles, as well as John B's and Rick Jaimison's).

Something comprehensive like that would probably clear up a lot of the confusion that exists regarding the topic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From an amatures standpoint: I had a Ruger #1-.257 Rbts. that flat would not shoot under 2.5" @ 100 yds. no matter what. I used so much JB's it's a wonder their stock hasn't doubled. I noticed that after firing 2 or 3 rounds with out cleaning that their was a "tight" spot about 6" down the bore from the chamber. It would take multiple applications of Sweets & JB's to clean it up. I was looking for an excuse to try fire lapping & decided that this was it. I now have a .257 that shoots MOA or better & no more tight spot in bore. I have since used it in 2 surplus 8x57 mauser barrels & 1-6.5x55 barrel. All improved by .5 to 1 MOA.
I am sure that fire lapping like any thing else has its faults & can ruin stuff if directions & the uncommon item- common sense- isn't used. As you can guess, my vote is I will be using the process again.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Immediately upon reading the article in question, I called Wolfe Publishing for John Barsness' address.  He now has a copy of the Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide in his posession.   A week or so later he responded with a nice conciliatory post-card assuring me that when he could muster up looking at another lapping project that he would give it a try ala' Beartooth style in the days to come!

I'll look forward to his update!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
5 Posts
" Ross Seyfried, Veral Smith, Marshall Stanton, David Tubb & the Precision Shooting Magazine "

So I guess these are the sum total of lapping/shooting expertize in the world?

I don't know anyone with a dab of brains that would put that 240 grit sand on a bullet and shoot it in a good bore.

(Edited by aladin at 4:13 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Yeah, I think that 240 is a bit coarse too.  I like 320 grit myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It doesn't appear the Ross thinks much of firelapping. Go to this article in Handloader per his reponse to a leading problem-- the 'answer' leaves me wondering if this guy has any knowledge to share. A kid coulda given the man that answer.

Thing is- he said nothing about  firelapping to relieve said problem.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=696&id=52

1 - 8 of 8 Posts