Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
.358 Winchester

;) The .358 , everybody and their brother has an 06 . I like it when people ask what I shoot and when I tell them , they've never heard of it . Mine's a 760 Rem . that started its life as a .35 Rem . The barrel is now 20" and turned down just a tad . I killed the best Buck of my life ( so far ) in Ontario with it 4 years ago . One Speer 220 FP through the boiler room . He bled out in 5 bounds .

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I saw your one on the 358 before and thought it was a good read. I then discovered that Ruger is no longer chambering your rifle, but I think the stainless is still available. That was disappointing to see..

·
Registered
614 Posts
Now fellas , in it's day the .35 Rem . was the king of the North woods along with the .300Savage . People who had neither of these used the 30-30 !

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
heck, i'm just waiting for someone to point out that the 35 whelen is what the 358 win wants to be when it grows up :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
I too have owned the Whelen , but I don't have the need to take a beating for that extra 100 FPS . There is only one degree of dead and the .358 works just fine IMHO !

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Yes, it was disappointing to me when I discovered that. You might be able to find a blued/wood one on line somewhere that has not sold yet or one for sale on one of the gun brokers.
Luckily I have my BLR, but I sure wouldn't mind a blue/wood after seeing how yours shot. Then again, I always wanted to build a custom, so maybe that would be a good project for me. Have you seen the new Rifle magazine? There's a decent article on the 358 in it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm sure glad I got my Hawkeye when I did, as it appears that Ruger has once again discontinued the .358 Winchester. Such a great round and it's so unloved with the gun masses. :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have been hunting with the .358 Win. since 1966 when I got my first one a 99F.

Indeed larger bullets are more effective. It's like the part of the blanket that hangs over the bed. When something goes different your still covered.

I was in a gunshop saying that I have four .358's now. Some guy right there says "I have ten of them"! When he left I checked with the shops owner and indeed he has 10 .358's. :eek:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
There are few that want to flock with anything over thirty cal. I wonder why the 35 Rem has hung on this long ?
I agree with the statement , if you have had harvested an animal with a 358 W , you would wonder why you waited so long to get this cartridge . It might not be the best cartridge in the open plains, but holds it's own in the east .
Here in Central Ontario Canada the 358 W has a cult following . you never see a used 358 W rifle . When one does get on the self on a trade it never lasts very longand the guns always retain it's price .Yet new guns are slow to go.
To those who can still find a 358 W in a ruger - once they are gone , they are gone . And the price of these guns will again go up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked up a Stainless Ruger Hawkeye in .358 Win. and hunt with it. They are sweet. The .358 Win. is, in my estimation virtually unknown to the average shooter or hunter.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You will not be disappointed in the 358! It is a great round, with alot of clout. It is hard to believe a cartridge that pushes 225gr bullets over 2400FPS is not way more popular. Plus, these are pointed spitzers. It just makes so much more sense than the 338 Federal, but I guess marketing really plays a huge part. If there was a little more factory ammo available for the rifle, I am sure there would be a stronger following, but most only see the 200gr SilverTip stuff and assume that is all they can get. I have only taken two deer with mine so far, but both had good, bleeding size holes and deer laying right where I hit them! It doesn't get any better than that. Hope to take an elk someday with the 358. I think it would do fine out to 300 yards with a 225gr Sierra or Nosler. Scotty

·
Registered
614 Posts
I saw some good news the other day ! Grice wholesale Is selling a Browning Micro Hunter in .358 Win. and .284 Win. , SWEET !!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts