Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ordered a .08 wide post front sight (.250 wide base, .250 high) from AO Sights for my Marlin 1895 ss 45-70.  I really am looking forward to getting rid of the factory bead.  I put a Lyman peep on it the day I bought it.  I've used the insert apertures to sight in and test loads, but for shooting and hunting, I leave the hole open to use as a ghost-ring.  Beats the heck out of those factory buckhorn rear sights that I grew up using!

I have heard that the dovetail requires a little filing to properly fit to the dovetail cut in the sight base.  Does anyone know how to properly do this without mangling things up?  I've heard also that the dovetail slot gets tighter from one side to the other.  Is it right to left or vise versa?

I recently installed a Williams peep on my Ruger 10/22, along with the higher front sight that is required.  I really had to beat it into the dovetail, and probably should have filed it down a little, but it is in there now!  However, I really want to be careful with my Marlin (&#36400 gun vs. Ruger &#36150 gun).  That front sight base on the Marlin is screwed into the barrel.  I'd hate to loosen it by having to beat on the dovetail.

Thanks for any help!

Ray

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ray; Purchase a front sight pusher from Brownells and quit beating on your guns. You might get by using a "c
" clamp also. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moose:

Thanks for the tip.  I am going to order that front sight pusher.  Unfortunately, I thought I could get by with tapping it in, and ended up loosening the front sight base, just like I was afraid I would do.  It seemed like it was going in no problem.  Hindsight is 20/20, as usual.  Now I have that great Ashley front sight, but can't shoot my gun because the sight will shift on me.  Have to wait on a new front sight base from Marlin.  Nuts!  I hate when I get ahead of myself!  Putting it down as a hard lesson learned.  Not too expensive, just frustrating.  

Thanks again.

Ray

·
Registered
83 Posts
While your ordering a front sight pusher get some new solder from Brownells. It's a semi liquid in a little jar, just heat and your done. Yes it's a soft solder but it sure works and holds. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moose:

What do I use solder for in relation to the front sight?  I've never seen any used on a dovetail.  I have a skeletonized hood cover on the front sight, so I'm not worried about the sight being bumped.

Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm thinking of the ramp base with two screws. If you beat on those too much it will loosen. If you shoot them a lot they will loosen also. So solder them in place and they can't loosen. For a simple dovetail use Loctite permanent ( I can't remember the number) , a drop will keep a front sight in place forever. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moose:

Thanks for the tips.  I got in my B-Square front sight pusher yesterday.  Works like a charm!  Wish I had bought it before I went screwing around with things.

When I was tapping around previously, I ruined the threads on the front screw.  I just hope the threads in the barrel aren't ruined.  If they are, I'll try that solder.

New base and screws coming in next week I hope.  I figure I'll just put some Loctite on the screws to help hold the base, maybe a drop in the dovetail.   I'm not really worried about the dovetail, it's pretty tight in there, and I have the hood cover to protect it.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moose:

I got the new base and screws in from Marlin the other day, and they sent me the wrong type... apparently they re-designed the front base.  Anyway, I figured out that I really only needed new screws to replace the stripped out ones, so I'm waiting on those to be delivered.

Regarding the solder:  I checked out Brownell's website to see what they had.  I really don't know anything about how to go about using it to secure the ramp, or even which kind to use.  Any tips?  

I bought some Loc-tite (red package) to put on the screws.  I'm wondering if that will hold it?  There was some kind of brownish stuff on the barrel, under the base that partly fell off when I removed the base.  The rest of it I flaked off.  I'm wondering if that was some kind of glue compound to help hold the base in place.

Thanks for your help.

Ray Floyd

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Hello Ray,

I'd use the loctite for now the see if that holds. It works very well on damaged threads that are not just totally gone. Keep in mind that the red will need to be heated if you ever want to take the screws out. Usually with a hair dryer is fine.

It's possible that that brown stuff was some type of thread locker or adhesive also. Loctite makes a Green material in a tube that locks slip fit parts and assemblies and can "build up" spaces between parts also.

Regards,

:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr. Ray:

Thanks for the advice.  I'll just use the Loc-tite as you suggest.  If the base ever loosens up, I'll worry about that then.  I've been itching...I have 56 rounds of ammo just sitting there waiting.  Can't shoot it without sights!

I still have not worked out that case bulging problem.  I have to shoot what I have before I load any more.  I have a hunch that if I back my sizing die out a little, I can avoid the bulges.  I'll also try turning the cartridge after getting the seating started.  If it doesn't take care of the problem,  maybe Lee can fix the press.

Thanks for all your help.

Ray

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ray,

I've found that the Marlin base screws are ALWAYS too short. The only exception being my 1949 336.

The base screw is a 6/48 and you can order those from Brownells or Ashley. Marlin drills the holes in the barrel plenty deep but their screws are only holding on by a thread or two.  Get enough screws for all your Marlins, use a little Loctite and you'll never have to worry about it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts