Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Armi San Marco is not part of Pietta or Uberti that I know of. They made a number of handguns. Some of them were not the best quality, but I would guess they would shoot if that was all your interested in. I own a Pietta and while it is not a Uberti or Ruger, it is a good shooter and well made.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1979 2nd Model Dragoon

A few weeks ago I purchased an Armi San Marco 2nd Model Dragoon. The date stamp on it indicates it was made in '79. I also have a Confederate Navy made by Pietta.

As far as the quality of the ASM it is as good or better than the Pietta. I've heard of burrs and rough spots on the Italian pistols but the only flaws that I have found on either is inside of the grip strap and trigger frame. They were not polished in those areas but it has no effect on the guns operation. The gun frames themselves on both appear to be very well made.

I will suggest that if you're buying a "used" version of an ASM (or any gun), pull it down to the guts and look for rust. This includes pulling the trigger assembly, cylinder block and hammer out for inspection of the "inside" of the frame.

I did not do this when I purchased the Dragoon and I got lucky. I pulled it apart after sending 50 or so rounds down the barrel because I wasn't happy with the trigger feel. A good cleaning cured the problem.

In the case of buying a "used" gun either from a pawn shop, gun shop or whatever, if you find minor flaws such as it needs a good cleaning, you can use this to get the price down. If the gun shop is too lazy to clean a used gun before they put it in the case, they might wind up paying the new owner to do it, if you know what I mean.

Have fun and I wouldn't hesitate to buy an ASM.

Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't bought a ASM gun since the mid 80's but back then they were good quality IMHO. Never a problem with the only one ASM I have 1851 Navy steel frame but that is very little evidence to go on I guess so take it for wiw.

It could be that Cimmeron (Mike Harvey) down in TX bought ASM and now owns them????? Can't be sure.....anyone else hear that???????

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Tend to agree with cayugad regarding the quality of Armi San Marco guns. I have three ASM 1873 Colt clones, two of them were just fine out of the box while the third one had to be sent back to the distributor for major warrenty work. Also have two ASM 1892 Winchester clones. One has an excellent action and is slick as a whistle, while the other is a bit stiff even after shooting it for three years.

AFAIK, ASM is now defunct and I have no idea if anyone has purchased their machinery. Parts are still available through VTI Gun Parts online. Unless you have a deal that is just too good to pass up, suggest you consider shopping around for another brand that is still up and running.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I bought an ASM 1860 Colt in 1980. It was a good shooter. I gave to my nephew, who still shoots it, when my wife bought me a 1858 Remington from Euroarms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts