Shooters Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Took it out Saturday shooting PRB's. 100 grains was blowing patches (.015) so dropped to 90 grains and patches were great. 50 yard accuracy was fair. 107 yards about pie plate size 5 shot group. At least all hit target this time! Going to check barrel fit next. Thanks all!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had what i called seasonal accuracy problems with a TC 54 Hawken. In summer it was quite accurate. WInter terrible. I finally discovered that the wood was shrinking in cold weather and made the bedding poor. I put card stock between the stock and barrel both front and back - enough to force the stock to flex in order to fit the pin. Accuracy came back. I ordered a bedding compound from Brownells and this increased accuracy. The 2 screws holding the hooked breach part to the barrel were stripped, so I drilled out the holes to accept a threaded insert for machine screws. This I followed up with a drilled and tapped hole through the hooked breach fitting and into the hook on the barrel which locks the barrel down securely. Now the barrel is solidly attached to the stock, has excellent stock-barrel fit, and it drives nails.

I use 777 when I can get it. I read over the patent for this stuff - it's based on sugar! Very light fowling and no corrosion problems.

a note on bullets. I use flat nose bullets. The 1/48 twist will stabilize a conical but bullets with pointed noses are aerodynamically less stable than flat-nosed ones. I have no trouble getting good accuracy from round balls as well.

BTW since Hornady stopped making the 54 Plains bullet (my favorite) I am speccing out a mold to come as close as possible to its dimensions. Anyyone have a mold maker they like??

Off to the MN mz hunt next week!

Northwoods

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good luck Northwood! I got my 54 shooting round balls pretty good. My 50 shoots conicals good so day after Turkey day I'm off after a buck with both rifles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
get some hard felt and a hole punch so the disk will be bigger than your bore. lube them with T/C wonder lube and put that between the powder and conical or even a patched round ball. You will see a dramatic improvement is the accuracy.
Duro-Felt Products this is where i get my hard felt from. Or you could use 20ga. felt wads from ballistic products.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts