Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 22-250's shoot 40 gr bullets at 4000 fps and definitely copper-foul the barrels. My .357 rifle with cowboy loads shoots around 1000 fps and definitely does NOT lead-foul the barrel. I don't know yet whether my .17 HMR at 2500 fps will cause copper-fouling. I know it's partly a function of how smooth or rough the bore is, but do you guys have a feel for the velocity where fouling becomes a concern? Perhaps over 3000 fps?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
IMHO if the barrel is of good quality and there are no issuse then above 3000 FPS

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
agree with JWP -

Have several sets of rifles in the same chamberings. One of the set will be harder to remove the copper than the other and generally harder to completely clean. Barrel smoothness is everything when it comes to easy cleanup.

With cast bullets, no matter what chambering, all seem to begin leading when velocities begin to reach the 1800 fps level, even gas checked. If shooting cast, you certainly want as smooth a bore possible.

In each case, lapping the barrel, either by hand (only an expert should do) or fire lapping, will be a big aid in getting the bore smoother. Such lapping kits are for sale here on the board by the board owner - check out the home page.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
My .30-30 will get a little jacket fouling, with factory loads just over 2,000fps. I have sometimes seen streaks of jacket fouling in handguns. Mostly I shoot cast bullets these days though.

Lead - soft cheap bullets can foul at handgun velocities. On the other end of the spectrum, my cast bullet loads for my .35 Rem are running 2,300fps or so and no issues with fouling

Sorry - just too difficult to generalize!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Some barrels foul more than others.

Stainless steel seems to foul less, most of time.

The faster the bullet, the more fouling I encounter.

Sierra bullets foul less than Hornady Bullets, which foul lessthan Speer bullets which foul less than Nosler bullets. Barnes copper bullets have been the worst.

Above 3000fps, every rifle I've owned over the last 40 years, copper fouling is apparent, but not necessarily a problem if I clean thouroughly after 100-200 rds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts