Shooters Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Form 4473

I worked in a very large sporting goods store. The 4473’s were all done on the computer. Signatures were all done electronically and looked like nothing more than a line. The form had to then be printed and the hard copy had to be kept for ATF inspection. It really was a nice system. The gun was automatically removed from inventory as part of the sale. Corrections could not be made on the computer however. The hard copy had to be printed and the change had to be made by the purchaser on that hard copy and initialed.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Moosehunt--- The first time I saw a portable, flatbed scanner and fax machine it was being operated by two BATF agents. A gun was sold to a bad guy and two agents showed up within half hour of the phone call. My partner was having a squealing, green worm fit because it was nothing but pure luck he found the 4473 in time. We both remembered the customer because he was stupid and proved it by talking about guns of which he no clue but what was read in a magazine. He'd bought a rare Hi-Standard GB-380 the week before.
There were two more guys in another car in the parking lot but never came in. No idea what it was about but "Reno" was mentioned a lot. Town or AG, we don't know.
You're right, they usually just call and want the name and address and the boxes he checked.

·
Registered
662 Posts
"was completed at the licensed business premises". That to me means you could start all of the basic information in on the form and finish it at the place where you buy the firearm from.

I can't see that as a big deal, but then again, I don't have an FFL.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
It would be fairly easy to write up your own 4473 that totally circumvents every feature of it in such a way the dealer wouldn't know he'd been had until it was examined closely.
NO WAY would I accept a 4473 from a customer than I didn't supply to him.....and it would be 4473s that came from BATF and not some office supply place, too.

An FFL is one of the easiest businesses to shut down for little details and if that IS your business, you don't risk losing it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
From ATF rules Dated April 29, 2016

The transferee (buyer) of the firearm(s) must answer the questions for Section A
of e-Form 4473 while physically present at the seller’s premises
At the gun store I work at we don't accept any 4473 that wasn't filled out in our presence. We've been inspected by the ATF and have not been cited for any errors in our process or the paperwork.

Online copies are there for the use of the FFL, not the purchaser. The idea is that the FFL can download the current version of the 4473 and have the purchaser fill it out in the presence of the FFL holder. If your gun store is accepting prefilled 4473s then they are violating the law. If the ATF every finds out what they are doing they will probably be shut down because of fines they will have to pay, not to mention loosing their FFL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you sell a gun over the counter the purchaser has to fill out section A in front of the seller.

You can buy a gun without going to the FFLs store but the requirements are so complicated that it isn't really worth it for most people.

Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(c) says;

(c)In any case not otherwise prohibited by this chapter, a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer may sell a firearm to a person who does not appear in person at the licensee’s business premises (other than another licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer) only if—

(1)the transferee submits to the transferor a sworn statement in the following form:
“Subject to penalties provided by law, I swear that, in the case of any firearm other than a shotgun or a rifle, I am twenty-one years or more of age, or that, in the case of a shotgun or a rifle, I am eighteen years or more of age; that I am not prohibited by the provisions of chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, from receiving a firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; and that my receipt of this firearm will not be in violation of any statute of the State and published ordinance applicable to the locality in which I reside. Further, the true title, name, and address of the principal law enforcement officer of the locality to which the firearm will be delivered are ____________

Signature _________ Date ____.”
and containing blank spaces for the attachment of a true copy of any permit or other information required pursuant to such statute or published ordinance;

(2)the transferor has, prior to the shipment or delivery of the firearm, forwarded by registered or certified mail (return receipt requested) a copy of the sworn statement, together with a description of the firearm, in a form prescribed by the Attorney General, to the chief law enforcement officer of the transferee’s place of residence, and has received a return receipt evidencing delivery of the statement or has had the statement returned due to the refusal of the named addressee to accept such letter in accordance with United States Post Office Department regulations; and

(3)the transferor has delayed shipment or delivery for a period of at least seven days following receipt of the notification of the acceptance or refusal of delivery of the statement.
A copy of the sworn statement and a copy of the notification to the local law enforcement officer, together with evidence of receipt or rejection of that notification shall be retained by the licensee as a part of the records required to be kept under section 923(g).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts