Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"Interested persons will remember that a year ago, helpful intervention by Montana's Senators persuaded the DoD to rescind a fresh DoD directive to military installation commanders requiring them to destroy once-fired brass, prior to selling it at auction into the civilian marketplace for ammunition reloading and other purposes.

But now, an end-run is being done around the rescinding order through quiet and sweetheart side deals with installation commanders that is being aggressively promoted by ATK.

ATK/Alliant TechSystems is the defense contractor that currently has the contract to operate the Army's huge Lake City Arsenal (BTW, LC brass is prized by reloaders for its quality)

Until recently, most used cartridge brass sales were put up for public bid through government liquidations, bids available to scrap metal purchasers, foundries, and specialized cartridge brass processors that reconditioned millions of surplus cartridge brass for sale to commercial reloaders of civilian ammunition, and to civilians for private ammunition reloading.

The steady supply of reloadable brass from military sources has been a sizeable and essential component of the currently stressed ammunition market in the U.S.

But, as of late, it appears, ATK has been aggressively promoting sweetheart side deals with military installation commanders for those commanders to sell used cartridge brass directly to ATK, whereupon ATK renders the brass unsuitable for reloading.

This generates income which is deposited not U.S. Treasury for reallocation by Congress, but into accounts controlled by installation commanders for installation operation.

ATK even provides portable equipment to "de mil" tons of cartridge brass at the military installations......."

If my memory serves me correctly, ATK is over Alliant (gunpowder) and over Federal (ammo)

I've already got a nice e-mail typed up for their corporate HQ, I plan on sending it tomorrow. Basically telling them that if this is their business practice, then, my business practice will be to take my business elsewhere, and buy another brand of gunpowder for reloading.

I encourage other reloaders to do the same. Let them know how you feel, and hit them where it hurts.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
Beat ya to it :p

·
Super Moderator
13,451 Posts
Yep, old news. ATK has already announced an end to the practice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.