Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
went for a ride last week to kittery trading post. they had an austin hallek that looked just awsome. i love sidelocks but this gun really called my name. read one article on it and it seems to be a real shooter. the only thing is they are out of business and i worry about parts. devil on one shoulder whispering get the gun , angel on other shoulder whispering don't get the gun
should i listen to the angel or devil?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well that is the problem with a A&H rifle. Quality wise they are excellent rifles. Their traditional models were some real beauties. Now down to parts... the nipple is probably a standard thread so that would be easy to replace. My worry would be a cracked stock. I doubt you will wear out the barrel if you take care of it. The tang is the tang. And the lock is pretty standard also. I would guess that some of the custom lock makers actually make a lock that would fit it.

So if you can fix a cracked stock "should it happen" and can get the rifle for a good price.. well the choice is yours. Personally I would stay away from it only because there are other rifles out there that I like as much or more. Also I need another rifle like a hole in the head.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Were you looking at a sidelock or in-line A&H? I have one of the A&H 420 Classic in-lines. Beautiful stock and an accurate shooter. If you're worried about the stock, many were sold with a second composite stock for hunting. You can still get some parts for the rifles (such as a 209 conversion kit). There's not a whole lot that should go wrong with the rifle, so you're probably ok for many years unless you're really abusive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up buying a 420 on gunbroker. it came with a composite and a wood stock. they are supposed to ship it tomorow. I also had them put on a Redfield revolution 3x9 scope. Iam going to try good old 350gr maxi hunters with 80 gr. black mag. for a start.. Red Pepper, what do you use?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think you'll like your rifle. I have just the maple stock, with a Burris Signature 3-9 scope. I've found that a Powerbelt ahead of 100 grains of 777 seems to really shoot well in my rifle (using percussion caps for ignition) - a true minute-of-angle shooter. I tried sabots. They shot ok, but were nearly impossible to load. The barrel seems tighter than on some other rifles I've owned. Powerbelts loaded easily and shot well. I'm getting ready to try some of the new Hornady FPB bullets. They look promising.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I dunno, I'm more partial to the A&H traditional Mountain Rifle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts