Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I might set the record straight here about hunting Down Under. For a start most of our native animals are not high on anyone's list in terms of trophy potential, apart from some very nice kangaroo skins, but some international comment not withstanding, we don't hunt 'roos as a general rule. They do get targeted by some professional shooters with permits and limits of what can be taken and are shot for both meat and skins. They are not in any danger of extinction either. In particular the mostly common Eastern Grey and Red Kangaroos. Some smaller wallabies are in danger but that's mainly due to predation but feral animals such as wild dogs, rabbits and foxes. There are actually more Kangaroos here now than there were when the First Fleet arrived. This is due to improvements such as watering points and pasture improvement.
What is hunted here is mainly introduced then. We have about 6 varieties of deer, Fallow, Rusa, Sambar, Hog, Chital and Red. These are mainly hunted on private land with the permission of the property owner, although some State Forest hunting is allowed in 2 States, New South Wales and Victoria. Other game is Pigs, foxes, Goats, Donkeys, Camels and Water Buffalo.
You can organise a hunt in Australia and there are plenty of outfitters to help you. Alternatively if you know an Australian hunter I'm sure they'd be happy to help you. As far as bringing your own rifle with you that can arranged, but handguns are not allowed. We also have laws prohibiting semi auto's. Shotguns are fine, but no pump actions.
I'm suer that all you hunters in the US would love to come on down. We do speak the same language, sort of, but drive on the wrong side of the road. From your perspective. We are the driest country in the world with a total population of about 25million in a land roughly the size of the Continental US so there's plenty of room as most of the population live in the south eastern parts, with the far north more sparsely populated and very tropical. There are a number of deserts that are vast and where very few people live. Outside of the cities the roads a generally good but deteriorate the further away you get.
There, I've done by bit for US/Aus tourism!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Ran across a internet article about venomous creepy crawlies in Australia.

According to the article there are a few and very potent ones at that.

·
The Shadow
7,504 Posts
Nobody drinks Fosters (not made in Australia)
Actually quite a lot of folks in Australia drink Fosters, most are tourists, but a lot of them drink it. :D

Reactions: Scruffy Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Waaaaiiiit a daggum minute here... what about all those TV ads from when I was a kid?

"Fostah's... Strine for beeah."

Were they LYING to us?!?! I swear, if it turns out to be made in New Jersey...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts