Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to make a batch of 9mm with the new to me AutoComp. I've used w231 for years in all my 9mm, 38, and 45. Anybody have a favorite blend for this powder? I'll be using 115 FMJ. I'm mainly looking for a good consistency something close to Winchester white box FMJs.

·
The Shadow
7,954 Posts
. Anybody have a favorite blend for this powder? I'll be using 115 FMJ. I'm mainly looking for a good consistency something close to Winchester white box FMJs.
Begin with the START load found in your manual.

As far as what your lot of powder is like, you'll have to do your own load development. That's the simple reality of things.

Cheers

Reactions: Kal.38

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,135 Posts
Ditto on Darkker's comments. With a new lot of powder, try the start loads first to see how it reacts.
I'm impressed with the fact you've found a quantity of reloading components for the 9mm.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ditto on Darkker's comments. With a new lot of powder, try the start loads first to see how it reacts.
I'm impressed with the fact you've found a quantity of reloading components for the 9mm.
But don't load too many at the start load ...if "start" isn't enough to cycle the action ... you get to use the bullet puller ... one poor soul loaded 500 rounds and discovered they wouldn't cycle his pistols action . With a revolver minimum loads don't matter with a semi-auto they matter a lot .
During 50_ years of reloading for semi-auto's I start in the middle ... minimum loads usually don't cycle the action 100% . Take the min. load and the max. load , add together and divide by two...that will give you the middle load and usually 100% cycling without being too hot and generally be an accurate load . From this point you can adjust the load , I find most of my general purpose loads like this .
As usuall ...don't start with the maximum loads ...start below and slowly work up .

With the 9mm Luger and Minimum loads ... I wasted a lot of time working up from minimum ...starting at the middle loads would have saved me a lot of time...
Gary

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
Start at minimum. No more than 5 rounds each increment, till the gun starts to cycle reliably. Might bump a tenth or two over minimum to cycle the gun, to deal with cold weather, dirty gun, etc.

Once you know where it cycles, then between that and max is up to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the info and pointers guys. As far as the components go. I live near a small Shooting Supply that most people don't know it's there. All the big stores in my area are in fact out. Once I have something that I can feed and burp my 9mm babies with. I'll let everyone know. Thanks again and happy holidays.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I have since I bought a RO Champion in 9mm just to see if I'd like a 9mm LWC. having a ball with it and actually shooting it more than my 45acps. At my age I have no interest in carrying a 45acp LWC. It's called to many years of competing with the old IPSC hot loads before they perfected testing for "power factor".

I'm using 231 for jacketed and plated (124 grain FN) bullseye for cast.

Biggest pain right now has been brass.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I was new to 9mm I started with the starting load and worked up to maximum with no problems. I called Hodgdon to ask if it was safe to go below the starting point to see where my gun would stop cycling. I was told I was on my own (duh) but the TiteGroup was a good powder to do it because it was not position sensitive. I took it down to 2 grains and it was still functioning flawlessly. The tests were run on both 115 and 124 grain bullets. After looking at the data I had, I settled on the 124 grain. It shoots as well as my other pistols with 1 inch groups at 25 yards. That's about the limit of my eyes now days. The extreme spread is 31 fps and the standard deviation is 7.4 fps.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
When I was new to 9mm I started with the starting load and worked up to maximum with no problems. I called Hodgdon to ask if it was safe to go below the starting point to see where my gun would stop cycling. I was told I was on my own (duh) but the TiteGroup was a good powder to do it because it was not position sensitive. I took it down to 2 grains and it was still functioning flawlessly. The tests were run on both 115 and 124 grain bullets. After looking at the data I had, I settled on the 124 grain. It shoots as well as my other pistols with 1 inch groups at 25 yards. That's about the limit of my eyes now days. The extreme spread is 31 fps and the standard deviation is 7.4 fps.
124 RN? Plated or lead? What pistol, COAL and if you don't mind, please keep is posted. Always open to alrernatives with 9mm

·
Registered
532 Posts
In the interest of complete disclosure:
The gun is a CZ 75B. I worked up the loads first with Hornady XTP bullet and then with Berry's round nose plated bullets. The cartridge OAL was determined by the guns chambering and It was reduced to 1.094. Cases are trimmed to 0.754".
The most accurate load in my gun for BOTH the 115 and 124 bullets was 4.2 grains of TiteGroup with a light taper crimp. Actually the crimp just takes the bell out of the case. In my all steel gun there is very little recoil, something I am NOT used to, and double taps are effortlessly kept on target in my drills. For just plinking there is less felt recoil than with my 22LR pistols.
Prior to getting the 9mm, which was purchased strictly for 3 gun shoots, I carried, drilled with, plinked with, hunted with, and competed with my 357 magnum using near maximum velocity (the most accurate load) full house magnum loads. At 100 yards I used to be able to keep 4" groups but alas time has effected my eyes and I can only manage 6" groups at that distance now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've never scrolled down to the bottom of the page before. Canadia can suck eggs training Chi comm picks in north America. I'm out of here and I hope you burn for you actions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts