Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .303 British Enfield whose bore actually measures .316. I have fought the rifle for years trying to get a store bought bullet to shoot accurately. I am now ready to give in and try a .316 bullet but of course I haven't been able to find any. Can anyone tell me if there is any such thing? I am only interested in jacketed bullets since I want to use the rifle at full power. It is a WWII rifle and is strong enough shoot along with a .308 Winchester.

·
Banned
68 Posts
120gn 316 HP bulets are made by Tiapan right here in Australia. They are designed for the 310 Cadet Martini rifles

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
John Mahoney said:
I have a .303 British Enfield whose bore actually measures .316. I have fought the rifle for years trying to get a store bought bullet to shoot accurately. I am now ready to give in and try a .316 bullet but of course I haven't been able to find any. Can anyone tell me if there is any such thing? I am only interested in jacketed bullets since I want to use the rifle at full power. It is a WWII rifle and is strong enough shoot along with a .308 Winchester.
Some of the 8mm bullets are .323 and could be resized if you can make a simple sizing die from a 7/8 by 14tpi allen bolt and a custom reamer for the job I would suspect that a letter drill or a 5/16ths drill may do the job for you. Think one of the letter drills are .316 and make a ram out of a shell casing with a 5/16ths rod epoxied in. Just lube them up and run them through. I did this with .311 to .308 because I bought 2000 for $1 a box. Just never know if something simple will work. Good luck Swany

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
For what it's worth, if you look around you might find some 0.318" bullets for the original 8x57 mauser, before it was increased to the current 0.323".

Just be sure you have enough clearance on the neck of the loaded round before trying this or anything over the standard size. The groove diameter might be larger than standard, but no guarantee that the chamber dimensions are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts