Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you have tried the new Ruger SR-22. I recently purchased one and Im impressed so far. This is one awesome little 22LR semi-auto. I expect a lot from Ruger and they delivered on this one. Those who love to shoot their AR15 will love this. Parts made of synthetics on similar rifles from other manufacturers are aluminum on the Ruger. I put an inexpensive BSA red dot site on the optical platform. Right out of the box at 50 yards the windage was dead on and elevation 3" low without a single adjustment. This is a dressed out 1022, so expect reliability. Add a Butler Creek Hotlips magazine and away you go!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks for that. I looked it up on their website and it seems like a great gun (if even a little expensive). I wonder what the availability of these would be in Canada, due to our stupid gun laws. How much have you shot it? Is it more accurate than the 10/22? I guess not, since according to the website, it is a 10/22.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that. I looked it up on their website and it seems like a great gun (if even a little expensive). I wonder what the availability of these would be in Canada, due to our stupid gun laws. How much have you shot it? Is it more accurate than the 10/22? I guess not, since according to the website, it is a 10/22.
Not so expensive if you look at a Remington 552 Speedmaster. I think retail on the Ruger is about $625 but I got out the door with the BC magazine for $550. And I agree with you on the stupid Canadian laws on firearms. I seem to recall at some point semi-autos were banned, even in 22LR.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree with you on the stupid Canadian laws on firearms. I seem to recall at some point semi-autos were banned, even in 22LR.
:confused: Hmm, must have been before my time (or at least before I cared). I don't ever recall that happening here, although I know it happened in Australia.

I've heard Canadian gun laws are so illogical, they could make a Vulcan's head explode! :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here it is hard to own a semi auto .22 or shotgun and almost impossible to own a semi auto centerfire. Unless it is a hand gun but there is problems there too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not a SR-22, but I built my own version with an old 10/22 I had.

I used the Nordic Components AR-22 Aluminum Receiver Chassis, added a Stoner Buffer Tube & 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock, DPMS Aluminum Vented Carbine Length Free Float Tube and DPMS A2 Pistol Grip. I used Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Scope Risers with Weaver 1" High Extension Quad Lock 4x4 Scope Rings to mount the old Simmons 3x9x32mm AO 22 MAG 1022T Riflescope.

I also did a complete Action / Trigger Job on this 10/22. It has the Factory Carbine Barrel that I shortened and recrowned to 17" and added a Green Mountain Aluminum Aero Barrel Shroud (to make it look like an 18" Bull Barrel without the added weight of a bull barrel).

The kids at our Indoor Shooting Range just love my Ruger 10/22. #1 it looks cool to them. #2 they can quickly adjust the 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock to get the exact right length for them. #3 shortening and recrowning the barrel (which also removed the front sight) seemed to make it shoot much better groups than it did originally.

I like it for the feel, as it handles very similar to my two AR-15's.

Larry

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
that thing looks like a pressure washer nozzle,with a fog horn on top..
but if it gets the job done ,,thats the only thing that matters ..to me anyway..
im a function an dependability man..
if it fills your needs , have at it ,brother..
i drive an old 94 nissan pickup..i don t worry much about anybody stealin it..
but shes put in a lotta hard hrs of work with me..function an dependability..slim

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a SR-22, but I built my own version with an old 10/22 I had.

I used the Nordic Components AR-22 Aluminum Receiver Chassis, added a Stoner Buffer Tube & 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock, DPMS Aluminum Vented Carbine Length Free Float Tube and DPMS A2 Pistol Grip. I used Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Scope Risers with Weaver 1" High Extension Quad Lock 4x4 Scope Rings to mount the old Simmons 3x9x32mm AO 22 MAG 1022T Riflescope.

I also did a complete Action / Trigger Job on this 10/22. It has the Factory Carbine Barrel that I shortened and recrowned to 17" and added a Green Mountain Aluminum Aero Barrel Shroud (to make it look like an 18" Bull Barrel without the added weight of a bull barrel).

The kids at our Indoor Shooting Range just love my Ruger 10/22. #1 it looks cool to them. #2 they can quickly adjust the 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock to get the exact right length for them. #3 shortening and recrowning the barrel (which also removed the front sight) seemed to make it shoot much better groups than it did originally.

I like it for the feel, as it handles very similar to my two AR-15's.

Larry
That surely is an awesome job on a basic platform. But you failed to admit how much green you had to lay out for all that. The aluminum handguard on the SR-22 is also drilled and tapped to accept picatinney rails for adding all the "toys". I plan to at least add a Surefire vertical grip and tac light.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
So, this "new" gun is really just a 10/22, with an aluminum frame wrapped around the action, to give it a para-military look and feel? Well, and the advantages of the rail system and adjustable stock, I suppose. But, am I correct in my understanding that the action itself is essentially a stock 10/22?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,706 Posts
Never thought about the collapsible buttstock being a good way for kids to get started shooting. Great idea!

It looks almost as funky as my kid's airsoft gun and I'm sure he'd approve.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, this "new" gun is really just a 10/22, with an aluminum frame wrapped around the action, to give it a para-military look and feel? Well, and the advantages of the rail system and adjustable stock, I suppose. But, am I correct in my understanding that the action itself is essentially a stock 10/22?
Yes, the action is basically a 1022 but all dressed up. The vented aluminum handguard will allow emptying a lot of hotlips magazines without setting the stock on fire or burning your fingers. The aluminum alloy receiver shroud adds some beef and solid feel. The grip is from Hogue and feels great. Buy a 1022 and dress it up like this and spend more money than the MSRP. It uses standard 10rd magazines available at $9. The Smith counterpart to this rifle has a synthetic receiver and handguard making it feel lighter, and comes with 1 mag and $30 mags on backorder from Smith. I have found the SR-22 to be more accurate than 1022's I've owned. One blogger pointed out the buttstock will be great for junior shooters. I agree. My 7 y.o. grandson handles it well even if it is a little heavy up front for him.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I paid $100.00 for the used 10/22 that was the basis for this gun, the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit, Stoner Buttstock, DPMS Free Float Tube & Pistol Grip, Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Scope Risers, Weaver Scope Rings, Simmons Scope and 3 extra Ruger 10 Round Magazines I have a grand total of $671.07 invested.

Nope this type of 10/22 is not for everyone but it serves the purpose I had intended for this 10/22 when I first bought it. The kids at the Indoor Shooting Range love it and it shoots better than I ever thought it would.

Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
The sr-22 is really a great deal when you stop and add it all up...
Yes its a standard 10/22 action, but thats a GOOD thing. The barrel on the other hand, isnt your average 10-22 taperd barrel... its about .75" from front to back, and is definatly better and more accurate than your "standard" 10/22 barral, plus being already threaded saves you $90 to have your stock barrel threaded, or $150+ on a new threaded barrel, if you happen to want a threaded barrel to complete your "black gun" look...
In addition to the awsome houge grip (you have to feel it to belive it, its nice) and robust colapsable stock, like was posted above, many of the AR style .22's on the market use a plastic tube for the stock and a cheap pistol grip.. the sr-22 uses a metal tube and a pistol grip that would be an upgrade on many guns...

Ive swapped out the flash hider on my for one I got at a gunshow for $10, and use a case i got at the same show for $25.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I really like the 10/22 and I got to fondle one of these on Saturday. Not a bad little rifle. Very well made and sturdy unlike some of the plastic bodied .22s Ive seen lately to mimic the look of tacticool guns.
Can't justify the money when Ive already got a full race evil black bunny sniper 10/22. especially when I want a CZ for my next .22LR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts