Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching the auction sites for awhile now and paying particular attention to the Browning b78's. I've noted that all the models I've seen to date have a raised cheek rest for a right hander, except the 45-70 which sports a cresent steel buttplate, a full octagon barrel and no raised cheek rest.

So to my question;

Is there something significant with the 45-70 that warranted this design difference ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Browning B-78 in .45-70, as you describe. I am only speculating, but here are a few points to ponder:
1. .45-70 model has iron sights, while the modern-cartridge models (that I have seen) do not.
2. High cheekpiece would facilitate scope use on non-iron-sighted rifles.
3. High cheekpiece + iron sights + recoil of a stout .45-70 = bloody unpleasant.
4. Nostalgic romance of a classic cartridge in a classic configuration. The crescent buttplate is rather unforgiving, but looks like it belongs there, rather than a Pachmayr Decelerator.

For what it's worth, I put a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 x 20 on mine for an oryx hunt in Texas, and it worked nicely. I didn't feel like I needed a high cheekpiece. It's a very comfortable setup for me. My other 1885s (.30-30, .38-55, and another .45-70), with the exception of the Low-Wall in .22lr, all wear iron sights.

Nobody I know has regretted buying their B-78s or 1885s. I certainly haven't. They are marvelous.

Regards,
Schuter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had a Browning 1885 in 38-55 traditional hunter years ago and sold it (regret)....

Bought a Browning 1885 low wall in .44 earlier this year and love it (other than a rather painful recoil)

I appreciate the info and I think you are probably correct. I'll continue my search, (being left-handed) the 45-70 is the only one I'm really searching for. Sadly, the cost on the auction sites are a tad higher than what the guns are worth. I imagine I'll bite the bullet (so to speak) in the coming months and pay the price for ownership.

Is the 45-70 factory drilled and tapped?

Again, I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, sir, it is drilled and tapped. It was nice of them to leave that option open. If you order bases for a scope, make sure that you get the bases designated for the B-78. According to the boys at Brownchester, they are slightly different from those made for the more recent 1885s. I have had the best luck with the Leupold bases.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your .38-55. You could hire the services of a grief counselor, but a new rifle will cost less and ultimately be more satisfying. The Low Wall sounds like a real thumper, though.

Regards,
Schuter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, no point in wasting time I guess. I bit the bullet and paid through the nose for a Browning B78 in 45-70. Sold as NIB (including box, bases and manual), manufacturing date of 1982. Sending the money order in an hour or so (have to make the trip to my FFL guy also).

I'll post some pics when it's in my hot little hands (might have to wait for the wife to cool off a bit also :eek:).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice work...I don't see any room for disappointment. (Now you've got me itching for another one. "Need" has got nothin' to do with it.) I hope she is everything you dreamed.

It's nice to see that they included the Pachmayr flush-mount sling swivels. (They were standard on this model, and many used B78s show up without the swivels, resulting in another expense.) Little refinements like this really make this rifle a class act.

I find that I am more satisfied after twenty rounds through a a High Wall or a Sharps, than I am after 300 rounds through a Mini-14 or AR. It's just good medicine.

Wish you well,
Schuter

·
Banned
11 Posts
you will not be disappointed. I have a 30-06 and a 45-70. The .45 I had re barreled to a 30" .45-110 and use a venier sight on it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts