Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever since my died, i've been feeling "eh, i get to it tommorow" and i'd go on the porch and read and listen to music a little bit. but friday i started sanding my son's Apache gold stock(richards microstock). i started to use 220 grit but the machine marks on the wood was er......heavy. so i used 40 grit, 100 grit and finally 220 grit. it took me about 2 - 3 hours each day (5 days) or until my eyes were buggy!!! i still have to do some (the roundness of the finger grips) 220 grit, but then i'll move on to 340 grit, 400 grit and finally some bronze/copper steel wool.

the next step will be minwax antique oil and i think minwax wipe on poly(1 or 2 coats). i never did wipe on poly on my other gunstocks, but i will try it. there is always citri strip if it comes out bad.

www.amazon.com/Minwax-Gloss-Wipe-Poly-U-S/dp/B009YNUT6Y/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=kqtP1&content-id=amzn1.sym.bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_p=bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_r=HA5R49GSXMP09Q21MDWG&pd_rd_wg=RBPHX&pd_rd_r=a983bc31-1598-4a38-adb6-5116383eafd3&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi&th=1

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am sad to hear of your lifes partner passing! I can totally relate to the doldrums, reading, the "there's always tommorrow syndrome."

But on the upside I am totally happy for you that you've found something rewarding to do that you've taken intrest in!!!! Keep us posted!!!🤓💥👌

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've done some sporterized military stocks with cherry and red mahogany wiping stain or minwax antique oil. i also have done a Richards black walnut stock on my 98 mauser. i like old wood stocked sporterized rifles. i dislike "black plastic" rifles that are produced now.

98 mauser

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Sorry for your loss td. What a beautiful job on that stock. Richards can be frustrating with the tool marks they have.

Great job.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
426 Posts
ever since my died, i've been feeling "eh, i get to it tommorow" and i'd go on the porch and read and listen to music a little bit. but friday i started sanding my son's Apache gold stock(richards microstock). i started to use 220 grit but the machine marks on the wood was er......heavy. so i used 40 grit, 100 grit and finally 220 grit. it took me about 2 - 3 hours each day (5 days) or until my eyes were buggy!!! i still have to do some (the roundness of the finger grips) 220 grit, but then i'll move on to 340 grit, 400 grit and finally some bronze/copper steel wool.

the next step will be minwax antique oil and i think minwax wipe on poly(1 or 2 coats). i never did wipe on poly on my other gunstocks, but i will try it. there is always citri strip if it comes out bad.

www.amazon.com/Minwax-Gloss-Wipe-Poly-U-S/dp/B009YNUT6Y/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=kqtP1&content-id=amzn1.sym.bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_p=bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_r=HA5R49GSXMP09Q21MDWG&pd_rd_wg=RBPHX&pd_rd_r=a983bc31-1598-4a38-adb6-5116383eafd3&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi&th=1
When you have to remove that much wood you can do it much faster using scrapers and then fishing sanding. Scrapers work much better on laminated wood as it takes the glue joints down with the Wood. You will get a much better finish.

Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts