Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the features to really look for in a pack that will make the job of packing out critter parts a little more bearable? Thank you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
back packs

Mainer: I'm not sure what kind of critter you're referring to but: I've used the same pack for carrying out moose since I was a kid and that's quite a long time ago. It's a good old trapper Nelson and the frame is strong enough to withstand loading it and picking it up, falling head over keester with it loaded and it still keeps chugging along. I've replaced a couple of bows and the canvas (twice) since I got it. I'm sure there's better available now in terms of packer comfort but I'm planning to stick with it. The key is the frame is strong enough to stand usage and a lot I've seen aren't. It's kind of like my old model 70, it does the job so well I trust it completely and wouldn't think of changing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I use a external frame for packing meat. I've got a real nice Gregory internal that I use for back-packing but for packing meat I need something that I can tie the meat to. I've got it drilled and put some eye bolts in it. It will carry more than I can pack, and it won't break. The Internal is great for off trail back-packing, the load is close to my back. But can't figure how I would secure the meat, plus wouldn't want the dried blood in there. My vote is for a sturdy External pack. Hard to beat REI for what you'd be using it for.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Cat...000&langId=-1&storeId=8000&categoryId=4500535

For just trail packing your gear you can't beat the Internal design pack. There's my opinion!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I got alot of bang for the buck way back when I bought my Camptrials Freighter Frame.

The new ones have more adjustments, better padding on the straps and waistbelt and a bit taller frame.

I find myself thinking I will get a new one next year, but probably not, the old klunker just keeps on going.

I have a custom lumbar pack that carries everything but the sleeping bag and tent and will ride the Freighter with my bedroom tied on. This has worked pretty good for me. A moose quarter will make the Freighter creak and groan but she has hauled a bunch of them without failure. I have also hauled propane tanks, inflatable rafts, chainsaws, outboard motors and other "Oh Crud, we gotta carry that in" stuff...Hmmm, on second thought, I think I will get a new and improved "Freighter"

Good Luck,

Scotty:rolleyes:

·
Banned
126 Posts
I have used the old "freighter" frame, that Cabela's now calls the "Alaskan" frame, for about 25 years. I believe it has carried all or parts of 6 or 7 elk and several deer. It is still chugging along. The new ones have considerably better padding in both the shoulder straps and the belt, but the old one is lighter for hunting. I don't use a pack for meat, but would do so if I were to bone the animal. I have purchased two new ones for by boys, who have also used them for elk and deer.

I hang a day pack on my frame to carry my stuff. I have about 20' of nylon rope that I tie onto the frame to secure the meat, and that is plenty. I know a fellow that uses two bunge cords to do the same, but I prefer rope. It also makes a tolerable rest for long shots that can be set up in a couple of seconds, as I don't wear the belt when hunting.

Hope this helps.

dclark

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I also use a CampTrails freighter frame, it's been banged up and "modified" as needed over the years. It's seen some heavy use and, at times, hasn't been treated very nicely. It has held up and I can't complain, not after all that we've been through together.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If you have an Army Surplus store around look for a used Large Alice Pack. It was designed to carry a 65 pound load however for years I've carried heavier loads up to 150 pounds around the globe. You won't bend the alunimum frame just humping the ruck in my opion. Jumping out of an airplane with 100 plus pounds in it yes you can. The main compartment is quite large. There is also a pack shelf for the frame if you can find one.

De Oppresso Liber

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks boys - You've given me some great advice here. Btw, the critters in question are moose. In the past year I started using one of those "Magnum Deer Carriers" from Cabelas on deer hunts. With one of those 2 wheeled deals an old man like me can get the biggest buck out to the truck in one piece pretty easily. Now I've gone an bought a whole fleet of them, and I figure with 2 people, and two carts, and a couple of packs, we won't be taking very many trips back for more "parts", when it comes to moose. Thanks again. However, this begs the question as to why I am actually looking forward to this unique form of recreational torture.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Guy,

I would propose that since you own all the equipment, that would make you the owner of the "company" and therfore entitled to delegate responsibility to those less fortunate than yourself.

There is nothing more pleasurable than watching another fella pack moose quarters.

Besides, SOMEONE must be "pack free" to respond to those who may stumble and be stuck like a turtle on it's back. Only makes sense. Safety you know. A good boss takes care of his workers ;*)

When you find a couple of folks that will buy that line, you have found good moose hunting partners.

Good luck. I fly out on Friday for eighteen days of swamp slogging in search of "da sixty inch moose" for our clients. A fine and pleasant misery for sure.

Scotty

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Frozen Digits - Unfortunately all my guides are smarter than I am. Probably I'll end up w/ 2 packs. Good luck with your moose hunts, I hope you have some good sports. Our season starts Oct. 7 and only runs for 6 days, thankfully. If we get a bull that exceeds 50" that's great. Much over 60" and you are entering Holy Grail territory. State record is 220 even B & C. It was set by a woman in 2000. See ya

·
Registered
282 Posts
My brother just got back from their hunt, 2 Bulls, 66" and the other is 64". I have pictures of the 66. The image is to large to post, but it you want to see a huge Bull, E-mail me and I'll send it to you. Both still in velvet, the 64 may be Boone and Crockett.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Two packs? Now there is an idea! Should balance a fella out. Would also make him easy to track. Trail would look like a series of postholes in the muck.

Our "Holy Grail" is reaching 80 inches. We are fortunate to have the number 2 and 3 moose in the state. Not bad for a bunch of arrow flingers ;*)

Our area is in a 50" or better so we make every effort to have the clients take at least a 60 so that there is a margin for error...not that I ever make a mistake when Bullwinkle comes in hot to trot.

Got the new firesight on the 45/70 and gave her a good workout at the range this a.m.

I find myself wishing sometimes that one of our clients would blow it so I have a good excuse to see just what that Marlin is capable of. Perhaps this year the bears will be up to their old tricks. Got a grizz tag though so I expect em to mind their manners and stay hidden. Sneaky buggers!

May the Lord bless you and keep you,

Scotty

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
from JoelB

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks guys, that Bull is 66 inches. The other one that Scott passed on isn't as wide but will score alot higher. They guessed that the shot was at 350 yards. Both bullets were 1 1/2 inches apart. Joe Small, the hunter of the big Grizzly in the Alaska post was amazed that both bullets were so close at that range.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Another from Joel B

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
from JoelB

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I don't know how far you had to pack him out, but that joker couldn't have fell in a nicer place. If I'd have shot it, it would have fallen in that alder behind him, in a neck deep swamp or on the wrong side of a cliff somewhere....

Congrats and good eating!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well 1st that's my brothers Moose, I didn't go up this Fall. I'm going for the 2 week Bear hunt next spring. But, the reason that's done is so that you can find the Moose when you go back for it. There isn't any trees, everything is just tundra so it's easy to loose them. Then you wander around trying to find a 1500 pound Moose that you lost! You try to put it up as high as you can, a Baseball hat thats a bright color works good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts