Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would you take with you if bowhuntig in big bear's country?... a slug shotgun?... a 45-70with fmj in it?.... or a .375 H&H mag?... something else?:confused:
i cannot decide. what is your choice and why?
thanks in advance,
radu

·
Banned
605 Posts
Years ago Fred Bear was asked the same question. Seems his backup gun on a hunt is his guide's .375 H&H. Makes sense to me ... don't send a boy to do a man's job.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Fred did tend to keep his backup armed with something his backup could handle well and could put down the big beasts of Alaska. I don't think he ever once considered that they would have to kill one with the rifle unless they had decided to hunt for them with the gun. I think he would have considered it a shame to ruin a few frames of precious archery footage with a rifle kill. The man was fearless and deserves legend status.

·
Registered
330 Posts
on me was my single action super black hawk with 240 grain slug. The back up was what ever he could handle usually a 338.

shoot straight and shoot often
GF

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think a Marlin .45-70 with Swift 450gr Swift A Frames.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Not that I plan on being in big bear country anytime soon, but I would have a 44 Mag Redhawk loaded up with some of Marshall's 300s.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Believe i'd take a .375H&H in ANOTHER person's hands (one I'd trust) Limited experinece, but bow hunting is close range...and at close range, you'd not have time to drop the bow, pick up the gun, aim, and hit.

Locally, during bow season (Louisiana doesn't have much dangerous game you'd likely bow hunt), the only firearm allowed here is spelled out as a ".22 caliber handgun with rat shot". I know "rat shot" isn't very exact, but the intent of the law is obvious.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I have bowhunted for close to 30 years and am an advocate of it - if you can kill quickly and cleanly. I don't see the sense in doing it for big bears though. You kind of deserve to get mauled IMO. You are hurting them, so fair is fair if you get eaten!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have bowhunted for close to 30 years and am an advocate of it - if you can kill quickly and cleanly. I don't see the sense in doing it for big bears though. You kind of deserve to get mauled IMO. You are hurting them, so fair is fair if you get eaten!
i was thinking of going hunting in alaska with one of my sons or friends. and to protect someone you love you need something reliable and consistent.

would apreciate any serious answer

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would think to ask your Guide before making the trip. I would think some one who was well versed with a 45/70 or 450 Guide gun or something in 475 Alaska would get the job done . Then too it is only of use if you can shoot it . Otherwise stay home and hunt here .A gun as with a bow, is only a good tool when you have mastered it .

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I magazine full of Garrett 45-70 loads would be my choice. Those loads and that gun are capable of killing Elephants, so they'd do serious harm to any bear in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i was thinking of going hunting in alaska with one of my sons or friends. and to protect someone you love you need something reliable and consistent.

would apreciate any serious answer
I gave you one earlier. A Marlin .45-70 with heavy bonded bullets. A .416, or .458 Winchester would be good choices too.

The point was that bowhunting is obviously a very close range affair. If you stick a bear and hurt it, it is likely to try to return the favor in spades! You might put a kill shot on him, but he may not die before mauling you or your friend. Even little deer often run 100 yds after being fatally shot with a firearm. The bear is only going to have to run 20 or 30 to extract his revenge on the archer. Once he gets to the archer, shooting becomes problematic. Things would happen very fast. You could kill who you are trying to protect. You may or may not put a kill shot on the bear, but it may still kill or maul the archer either way. And some bear victums in Alaska die later of horrible infections the bruins cause. I am very serious about these facts. I have a friend who lives on the Kenai that has experience with the Big Coastals. I forgot how many times they had to shoot one that got out of control a couple years ago. Multiple multiple rifle shots and it lived overnight and was still alive when found the next day. They die hard and rip humans apart in seconds. That is just a fact. And you can't blame a bear for going after someone who is brave / crazy enough (pick your own opinion) to stick them with an arrow.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
No doubt radu.vet has gone over the risks, I'd suggest you don't get so worked up over it BDII.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
No doubt radu.vet has gone over the risks, I'd suggest you don't get so worked up over it BDII.
I am not worked up at all. Just making it clear that I was not dissing him, but was offering a serious opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you all for your suggestions.
i was wondering what about the .35 whelen, or .350 rem mag - are they not enough for a charging bear? or a BAR in .338 win mag could it jam???

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not sure if you could consider anything enough if you faced a true bear charge. You could do far worse than a 350 or 35 whelen with 250 grain slugs.

And I still say a side arm in nothing less than 44mag with 240gr. slugs

good luck with the bow hunt.
GF

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yes my buddy who moved to Alaska chose the .35 Whelen before he arrived there. He has been there several years now and seen what the coastal bears can do and what they can take. He has not changed guns.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Most definately the marlin guide gun 45-70 with Garrett Ammo Hammerheads. Myself, I'd load up something with a good hard cast lead and take out the shoulders or go end for end. I'd want good penetration and the 45-70 can do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
thank you all for your suggestions.
i was wondering what about the .35 whelen, or .350 rem mag - are they not enough for a charging bear? or a BAR in .338 win mag could it jam???

Of course it could jam. Probably not going to and your only defense against a feed problem is to have a single shot. That's why double rifles were the way to go in Africa for dangerous game for so long. Two single shots.
If you are thinking of a gun to carry on you while you hunt, you need to limit the size of the gun. As you know it would be a pain to try and sneak within bow range while packing a large hunting rifle.
I packed a super blackhawk 44 while working in Grizz country. Didn't ever think I would need it, but I had it. The problem with a handgun is that if you don't shoot it a bunch, you probably won't shoot it well enough to count on it in a bad situation.
A marlin is a good choice. I wouldn't get the guide gun myself just because the standard barrel length is very handy so I don't think the 18" barrel is a huge advantage but I do think that the porting is a problem. You want to be able to use the gun that you buy for backup for a future hunt, and I wouldn't even think of shooting that ported gun without hearing protection. I think you could do dammage to your ears when you shoot at a critter with the ported version.
They don't make the critter that you can't kill with the 45-70 and stout loads. The lever gun gives you quick loads also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts