Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
I need some help. I live in Reno, NV. Over a year ago I purchased a Savage 22-250. I was denied purchasing as my name was “close” to someone else’s name in Oregon with a sketchy past. I went thru fingerprinting and an appeals process and 34 days later I was able to pick up the rifle.
I was assigned a password by the State of Nevada with instructions to never write it down anywhere, they would call me to ask for it so they would know it was me and not the person from Oregon.
2 months ago I purchased a Tikka TAC1 from the same store. As I was filling out the electronic background paperwork a line appeared asking for a UIN number, thinking this is where I put my password I asked at the desk about my concerns that I was told to never write my number down. I was told the only place I’m to write it down is on this form. I did so and 3 days later I was denied picking up the rifle because I had wrote down my password. When I finally got in touch with the state I was told I would have to get fingerprinted again and go thru the appeals process. They said my old fingerprints had to be refreshed to make sure it is really me. I had the appeals form and my new fingerprints hand delivered to their office that Friday.
I’ve spent more than 7 hours on hold, been promised 2 callbacks and received none, I’ve stopped by their office twice and was told no one was available to talk to.
I called a lawyer and they suggested the state is probably busy. I stopped by the store this afternoon and background checks are taking 1-3 days to process.
It’s been 6 weeks since I turned in the appeal and my fingerprints and I feel completely helpless as to how to resolve this.
Sorry about the length, I thank you in advance for suggestions on how to resolve this.

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
You really need to contact a lawyer and ask him what needs to be done. It sounds like bureaucratic 'infringement' to me.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,172 Posts
Some states bypass the NICS check if you have a concealed carry license. No clue about Nevada... but might be worth checking into.

Good luck.

Reactions: hunt4570

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Whenever I purchase a firearm, the purchasing ATF form always ask for the City & State you were born in. I guess this is the way they can identify you and not confusing you with another person with the same name.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Man, what a PITA. With my last name it always takes 30-45 minutes, but I have never been researched further.

When I bought my first house in 1984, our final signing was delayed as there was someone with the same name as me in Galveston County that had defaulted on a Mortgage (sometime in the 60's). I remember our Realtor telling the finance company that I was in Elementary School when that default took place. lol. She had known me as her husband was my track coach in HS. Even with that evidence, they still made me sign a waiver that I was not the same person.

I hope you get it sorted out and get some satisfaction. Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess NY is a little different. I kept getting delayed, so i did the Appeals thing finger printed too. Took about 1 1/2 years but got it approved and was given a UPN number (no password). I just give that number to the FFL person and they call it in when doing the background check and i'm approved on the spot. No more Delays!

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
Only one time has my BGC been delayed. I had been told the phrase: "former military and bonded LEO, fingerprints on file", will loosen the log jamb. It cleared me in about a minute but I've never had to use it since.
There's some kind of special drivers license coming to ID and I assume everywhere. It'll be needed to fly or enter a Fed building.
BTW-- Entry into some defense labs is much more of a background check than buying a gun! They do everything but strip search and you better have a good memory for elementary school teachers to pass muster.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
There's some kind of special drivers license coming to ID and I assume everywhere. It'll be needed to fly or enter a Fed building.
In Missouri (perhaps universally?) it's called a 'Real ID' and is identified by a gold star in the upper right hand corner of the license. I'll be getting my first one next week when I renew my driver's license. As you say, it's required to enter any Federal building or get on a commercial airplane, plus to access any military base (PX, commissary, etc.). I don't know if it 'cuts through' any other red tape situations.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
In Missouri (perhaps universally?) it's called a 'Real ID' and is identified by a gold star in the upper right hand corner of the license. I'll be getting my first one next week when I renew my driver's license. As you say, it's required to enter any Federal building or get on a commercial airplane, plus to access any military base (PX, commissary, etc.). I don't know if it 'cuts through' any other red tape situations.
My TX one has the gold star (really a white star surrounded by a gold circle). The lady at the Drivers License place told me it was a new special ID, but did not go into any detail.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,049 Posts
Boys, this thread isn't for you to speculate about the Real ID Act, from almost 20 years ago...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Boys, this thread isn't for you to speculate about the Real ID Act, from almost 20 years ago...
Maybe I'm mistaken (been there before!), but I thought the thread took that direction, thinking that perhaps the Real ID would lessen, if not prevent, the misidentification of individuals purchasing firearms, and the resulting delays. That is what the thread was about, wasn't it? I don't see where any political judgements/opinions were made. I didn't know of the 20 year history, as it's pretty new in Missouri, but I do kinda 'live under a rock'! :confused::)

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,049 Posts
I never said it was getting political, I said sharing bewilderment about legislation stemming from the 9/11 Commission, and comparing what color stars will appear on your driver's license; isn't helpful to the OP's question about what to do(which is what the thread is about).😉

I drink a lot of cask strength whiskey, but I've never found anything strong enough to convince me standardizing one set of government forms, would magically prevent identity theft.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I drink a lot of cask strength whiskey, but I've never found anything strong enough to convince me standardizing one set of government forms, would magically prevent identity theft.
Cheers
I've had a bottle of 126+ proof Booker's (in the wooden box) sitting on the shelf for about 25 years now. If you're ever passing through on Hwy 70, let me know, and we'll 'pop the seal' and have a couple of Robustos! (y) ;):)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'm curious if you choose to provide your SS# on the 4473. It seems that would certainly be helpful in identifying which "John Smith" you were.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We've had problems here in Ore for over the last yr. The instant background check is a far cry from that. Here if you have a CCW you were supposed to go to the front of the line for the check. Hasn't helped in a long while. I've always used my SS # on the 4473 and it's also on the CCW paperwork. Part of the problem has been that OSP checkers had been furloughed and working from home because of Covid. The other issue is things get misprinted or misinterpreted on the application.
This last weekend gun show the background system showed the waiting number @ 4187 for Saturday. So about a
2 or 3 week wait for clearance. Not instant.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The cheapest and easiest way to deal with this issue once and for all would be to get a concealed carry permit. You may have to go through all the same stuff again, but once you're done, you're done...theoretically.

·
Super Moderator
14,123 Posts
For Nevada, it looks like CC permits issued after July 1, 2011 qualify for the background check exemption. The ATF decides which states have concealed carry permits with rigorous enough qualifying standards to exempt their holders from the NICS check. It looks like 28 states have this exemption currently. There is a list here.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,049 Posts
As with many things, new shenanigans can happen in short order. Wa has some new messes, which obsoletes that list(at least for us) unfortunately.

·
Registered
Police Officer Retired
124 Posts
Here’s one for you: I am a retired Deputy Sheriff 36 years Upstate SC. Back about 20 years ago the used this “Soundex System” that matched names up to those in a database. There were problems with it when people with common names like Smith, Jones, etc were denied purchases as they matched up with criminals with those names taking considerable time to clear up the discrepancies.I walked into a large Police gun business in a Sheriffs Captain’s uniform. My gun purchase was denied as my common name matched up with a Criminal in Jacksonville Florida where I was born. The dealer was not helpful refusing to even let me use her phone or talk to the State Law Enforcement Regulatory Person who told me I had been arrested for Burglary and Grand Larceny in Florida.I called a friend who was Captain with the State Law Enforcement Agency who called his own regulatory person and told them to allow my purchase.The beaureacrat refused afterwhich the good Captain walked across the street to personally approve my transaction. All the while I stood there in my Captains Uniform. Now as Paul Harvey would say the end of the story: It happened again a second time afterwhich the Chief of the State Police personally gave me a letter on letterhead to present at any future purchases with code numbers clearing my purchases. Very soon after the second incident the Soundex System was abandoned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts