Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to buy a Bisley .45 Colt with adjustable sights. I have been putting it on hold because they are not available in Stainless and only have 7.5 " barrels. Well I came across a special edition 5.5" stainless adjustable sight model here in Alaska. So I bought it and now I don't have to have one cut down and coated! I am excited about trying Cowboy shooting and using it for hunting and bear backup! It will make a good supliment to my .45 Super auto.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love mine the only thing ive done to it is open the chamber throats and an action job and a belt mountail pin. I shoots great!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Don't have a Bisley, but got a smoooth Blackhawk in .45 Colt that shoots real nice! 4 5/8" bbl in stainless, a mate to my Winnie Trapper in .45Colt.
Good luck with your new Bisley's; that's one on the list!!!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put 25 Win Cowboys through it today. It shoots nice. The edges are a bit sharp on the grips but a file will round them off nicely.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you want a nice midrange load try 11.5 hs6 with a cci 300 and a 255 or 250 cast bullet it shoots into an inch in my gun. Heavy loads that work good are the rcbs kieth 300 and the ballistic cast 320 lfn with 24 grains of 110 both shoot excellent.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Bisley

FA18Cub, Old habits are hard to break and I still lean toward my 44`s but I won`t hesitate in saying that my Bisley might very well be the most accurate handgun that I own.The Bisley is 45Colt.--------Enjoy

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am realatively certain I am going to have a little work done to it. The trigger is aweful. The thing moves a good quarter inch befor it fires. Anyway, I like Ogelsby & Ogelsby offerings for the price. I am leaning towards thier Master gunfighter job. It covers just about everything including refinishing the frame, I think.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That typing is aweful. Let me try again. Bad Luck...Special Edition. Thats better. Doesn't say much for my college education. At 02:00 in the morning anyway.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've got a 7 1/2" that is hard chromed and had been worked over by Cylinder & Slide. It shoot's exceptionally well. You would be advised to check your throat diameter and compare it to you barrel measurements, as the the throats are often smaller than the barrel, which swages the bullet to a diameter that is not ideal for accuracy. It's a cheap and easy fix if it is. For bear back-up use the "TC and Ruger only" loads in the hornady #5 manual. The 300gr XTP is a sledgehammer at 1300+ FPS and some 300-325 gr lead loads could possibly provide even greater velocity at safe pressure levels. If you are going to feed it some high-pressure loads I have a tip for you to increase case life substantially. I resize only the portion of the case that holds the bullet. You can adjust the decapping stem in your dies all the way down and resize/decap carefully. The chambers on Rugers in 45LC are way oversized compared to the sized case. I would imagine this has to do with variance in bullet diameter that can be encounterd with this round. If you look at a fired round compared to a unfired round, the difference will be visible as to the diameter of the case. If you full length resize the high pressure loads, just use them two or three times for hot loads and relegate them to cowboy action loads after that. Good luck with this gun, I think the Bisleys are superior to the standard Blackhawk in every way unless weight is a concern.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like it so far. 30 rounds of Win. Cowboy are all I have through it. I will be building up some bear loads of 300+ in the 1300 fps range give or take a few hundres fps depending on recoil controlablity issues. I will also be doing some hunting type loads. I will get all the demensions checked when I send it to a shop. I was looking at the cosmetics the other day and it is awful. Lots of marks and nicks all over it. I hate to pay someone for something Ruger should have done.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The loads I mentioned would also make excellent hunting loads, they shoot pretty flat to about 125-150 yds, which is way farther than I shoot at game animals with open sights on a handgun. With open sights on a revolver I'd limit myself to around 50 yds depending on the the quality of rest I have available. Hopefully I'll have a field report of how well these loads do on white tail come November. I'll tell you that recoil is crisp with the 7 1/2" barrel but should be managable with the shorter tube due to the excellent recoil handling abilities of the Bislely grip frame.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to keep 6 of 6 shots from my .41 Mag BH on an 8" paper plate to 50 yrds. That turned out to be the limit for me. Beyond that I was not able to keep all my shots in the plate, so I will use that fifty yard line as my limit for shots at game.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts