Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I inherited about 10 boxes of these. They are brand new and stored very well. 50 each box.
Can they be used in any .45 caliber or M1911 only?
Also, is there any collection value in these?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

If they are G.I ball ammo, they will work in any .45 ACP. Depending on the age, there may be some collector value. If they are from WWII, they are probably corrosive. When were they made and who made them? All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, not sure what's GI means and ACP. They look brand new and shiny to me, no corrosions. Made by Remington Arms co, inc; with head stamp RA 65. not sure about when they were made. Now date on the boxes..

·
Banned
484 Posts
You have GI (Government Issue) military ball ammunition manufactured by Remington Arms Company. If it was manufactured prior to 1960, it may have some collector value and it definitely will if manufactured prior to 1946. The cartridges will be headstamped RA and the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture...RA66 would be made in 1966 and so on.

Ammo manufactured prior to the mid 50's has corrosive primers, so if it was me and it was dated RA60 or less, I would clean the pistol as if it was corrosive (hot water followed by solvent, or special corrosive solvent such as GI Bore Cleaner or original Hoppes Number 9).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot! So mine is 1965 not so old, so no collectors value here.
My other question I am trying to understand if I can use it only on M1911 or any 45 caliber pistols.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Tiras, yes, you can use them in any .45 ACP pistol. They were made in 1965 here in the USA and are certainly non-corrosive. Not any different from Remington factory ammo from Wally World, of the same specs. IF the box has the word MATCH on it, then they will have some collector value but not enough to buy a new pistol with.

M1911 is the identifier for the cartridge, not necessarily a particular pistol.

ACP= Automatic Colt Pistol
GI= Government Issue

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot. You rock! The box doesn't have word MATCH on it, so I guess no value for these. Or maybe $20/box?
So I can use them in any .45 Colts but only in Colts correct?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Thanks a lot. You rock! The box doesn't have word MATCH on it, so I guess no value for these. Or maybe $20/box?
So I can use them in any .45 Colts but only in Colts correct?[/quote]

No, the 45 Colt is an entirely different cartridge. You can use them in any pistol no matter the make/brand as long as it is chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge. Example Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Glock, etc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a bunch of these boxes, maybe 20+. What do you think is the value for one. I am thinking either to sell and buy a pistol and buy a pistol for these cartridges..

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Reluctantly, Tiras, I will step out onto this thin ice and answer your questions because you appear to be rather nieve about guns and ammo. If I am wrong, no harm intended. I also hope you are at least 18+ yrs old and better 21 because if you aren't you are messing with illegal stuff.

New, factory loaded ammunition similar to what you have sells for around $25 per box of 50 and your ammo should certainly be worth that. I would say yours is worth $20-$30 per box. If you wanted to sell quickly, price it under $25 and if you want to max out, go for the $30 but it will probably move slower. When selling this to someone that will require it to be shipped to them, you need to consider the shipping cost because they will. Shipping for ammunition must be by Fedx, UPS or the like because it is illegal to mail ammo and it is very heavy so the cost is high. Collectors, ammo and military, may have enough interest to pay more for single boxes but I think your best market, for selling quickly, is to shooters.

Many people look at the reloadability of brass when they buy ammo and yours is reloadable but requires a little extra effort and tools to remove the crimped-in primers and then remove the crimp burr. But the brass is generally thicker and longer lasting so some folks like it.

Your ammo is made to military specifications (MilSpec) of the time. It has a 230gr Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) bullet and I believe it has a speed of about 750fps mv. This type of ammo is commonly used by private folks for practice and some target games but many feel it is not effective for personal defense. The cemeteries of Europe and Asia are full of people who might argue that point.

Good luck. If you decide to sell it, PM me and I'd be interested in a box or 2.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Acp

To answer one of your early questions. The ACP designation is an abbreviation for "Automatic Colt Pistol" (correct) or "Automatic Cartridge Pistol" depending on who you read. . The .45 ACP is one of a series of cartridges with this designation - .25ACP, .32ACP, .380ACP, .38ACP - are others. They were originally designed by John Browning (the .45 in 1904) for use in pistols made by FN or Colt.
The .45 Colt is a much older and also much larger cartridge designed by Colt in the early 1870's for use in its "Peacemaker" sixgun. It remains a popular cartridge today. It is frequently, and mistakenly, referred to as the .45 Long Colt.
As noted, they are not interchangeable.
Pete

·
Registered
750 Posts
I found a bunch of these boxes, maybe 20+. What do you think is the value for one. I am thinking either to sell and buy a pistol and buy a pistol for these cartridges..
Well, I.m generally a bigger fan of buying guns and shooting than selling stuff and not....

So, I'd recommend that you buy a gun (again assuming that you are legally able). I love my 1911s, so I Will start there. You can get a decent, used 1911 in the $500 to $750 range. And even some new ones (Rock Island Armory) for mid $400s.
They look like this:

Another good option is the Smith and Wesson 4506 that you should be able to get for around $400 maybe lower.

You could also get a revolver in 45acp, it will make your ammo supply last a little longer too.

Realistically, if you are a new shooter, you might want to start out a little lighter. like a .22. They are cheap to shoot, no recoil, and it will teach you good habits, before you go off burning through your stash of 45acp.

You can get a really nice used Ruger Mark II or II for under $300 and the value will hold if you eventually want to sell it again, which, after shooting it, you probably wont....

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Tiras,

Does the boxes look like this one?

The US Army has been issuing that same load/spec for nearly 100 years now. I carried this one last year in Iraq (frame is a 1916 dated Colt 1911). My son carries a M1911A1 in Iraq currently also (he's also in Special Forces). The ammo should be good to go if stored properly.

CD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts