Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to come up with a good load for the .44 mag. I have tried H4227 with horrible results.I recently bought some 2400 and was not impressed at all. I shoot Unique for practice loads.
I know that full house loads of W296 and/or H110 are probably the ultimate.
But-- I don't want the super speed loads. I want to have a 240 gr cast bullet travel at about 13-1400 fps. "They" say to not reduce the above powders loads by more than 3% because you run into load density problems. A 3% reduction according to my books leaves you over 1500 fps.

I have started working with the Accurate powders #7 and #9 and like them very much, but they also are ball powders. Is load density a concern here?

I have also heard that temperature changes affect ball powders more than others.

If anyone has some thoughts, words of wisdom, or better yet, some experience with these powders jump in here

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have used AA#9 in my 41 mag with charges from 15.5 to 18.5 grs with no ill effects. I have not seen any warnings in AA's literature indicating a problem downloading like you see for 296/H110. Some have reported that it binds their powder measure but my old Lyman 55 deals with it just fine.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
Jim,

My stock .44 practice load is 7.5gr. of AA#2 with a 240gr. SWC at 1050fps.

That's a little lower than what you were looking for but it is a nice load to shoot.

James Gates has found real nice results with AA#5 loaded to about 1200fps in the .44 mag. Don't have the load data on hand but it might be a good place to start.

Good luck. Yes H110 & 296 work better at full throttle.

·
Registered
439 Posts
While my older brothr worked for General Dynamics (who owns Saint Marks Powders in Florida), I got to try out lots of Ball Powders which had been produced for shotshells; in my handguns. FREE POWDER gets used! So I used WW473AA,WW540, WST,WSL, and lots of FREE powders which were never available to the public. All of them worked from fairly well to really well in all of my handguns. But sometimes I got to also play with some of their Experimental powders which were worthless for handguns. So I am of the oppinion that nearly any powder Could be used: But Only handgun powders should be used in them

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have used AA 4100 (slower than #9) extensively in both 44 mag and 45 Colt. It meters super accurately, it shoots super accurately and is super clean shooting. It also does NOT require magnum primers or 97% + fill, like H110/296 do. AA 4100 will give you 98% of the velocity of H110, but is more versatile. AA #9 is probably even more versatile, if the absolute top velocity is not needed.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I use Power Pistol powder in 44RM and 44/40, to create mid-velocity loads. I have a lot of it on-hand for 9mm and 380 loads, so I also use it for plinking stuff in the bigger cases.

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
Old Jim,

If you look at Hodgdon's data for the .44 Mag, they have a number of loads with fast powders under 240 grain LSWC's that land in your velocity range. They are using an 8.275" barrel, though. What are you shooting these in and how long is the barrel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts