Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the various Sharps and Hi-walls.  Ran accross Ballard Rifles.  Specifically, I'm interested in their #7 long range in 45-70.  What's your opinion of Ballard's rifles?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered a #41/2 mid-range in 38-55 from ballard last november. Thier catalog is VERY misleading, the text may say "this rifle comes with extra fancy wood" but when you order you will be in for a big suprise and it is tough to get your deposit back. Their back log is about a year last I heard.

·
Banned
554 Posts
I was wondering about the wood on the Ballards.  

Their ad in "Rifle" shows a nice high wall, but there's a knot in the wrist of the stock!  Something I wouldn't expect out of a very expensive custom gun, much less a Remchester.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wouldn't want this to get back to Ballard(I might never see my rifle) , but I would buy a C Sharps Hi-Wall if I  had to do it over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recieved my ballard on thursday dec 5th, just shy of 13 months delivery. It is a very nice looking rifle though.

·
Banned
1 Posts
ballard rifles

i have a terrific rifle from Ballard/WY and i had a bit of an education getting it. i ordered a complete rifle but (while at the Tulsa Wannamaker Gunshow) i was advised to change my order to a barreled action and do my own wood. i followed the advice, and when i received my rifle (45-70 HiWall, dst, pistol grip tang, color case receiver, #4bbl x 34", no sights but bbl cut both dovetails) it was appropriately in the white and i obtained some native walnut and had it shaped, then carved and fitted the wood, finished and checkered myself. i obtained my sights (Parts Unknown LR rear with bubbled Lyman 17A front) by mailorder and fitted a filler button in the rear dovetail. i am planning to experiment with a buckhorn or similar rear sight in the rear dovetail for chickens. i used a model 70 buttplate. i am still developing my BP loading tools and loads, but i am mighty prowd of the rifle i got from Ballard/WY... wood or no wood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rifle choice

cgdavid--The best customer service BY FAR comes from Shiloh. I own both Rolling blocks and Sharps, and the Sharps wins, hands down. On the low dollar end, the Pedersoli stands above the other makes. If you want the best, the Shiloh Sharps sets the benchmark the others are trying to match, no contest. Shoot straight, rdnck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts