Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Ballistol? I've heard a lot about it; non-toxic, okish lube, great cleaner, and prolonged use creates a slick nonstick surface. As I get closer to getting my CCW I'm interested in non-toxic stuff. MPro7 (the lube not the cleaner) just isn't all that great for me. Currently I've got a non-toxic grease for the rails but I need a CLP for rust prevention. What do you guys think? :confused:

Ballistol

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have used it for about 15 years now .Both in liquid and aerosol form.
I use it for storing guns, oiling bores .I also use is as a case lube, which works very well. I simply spray a little on my fingers and lube the case as I resize them.There is currently about 4 cans of it in the gun room.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I use it on my BP cartridge rifles. Great bore cleaner for black powder arms. But I still use CLP with teflon for general lube on autoloaders. You shouldn't be using so much that toxicity should be a concern.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used it for about 15 years now .Both in liquid and aerosol form.
I use it for storing guns, oiling bores .I also use is as a case lube, which works very well. I simply spray a little on my fingers and lube the case as I resize them.There is currently about 4 cans of it in the gun room.
Does it work as well as it claims to on wood and leather as well as a gun cleaning?

Thanks for the reply guys.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Used it 10 years ago. I like CLP better. I clean with hoppes, then CLP breakfree.
The only Breakfree CLP I found was a foam spray and I hate foam. Do they sell it in a normal, more liquidy spray?
I like Ballistol because it works well and does not require wearing gloves while cleaning my bore with it. It's so non-toxic that we can use it for cuts and punctures to our skin. Thought someone said it can be drunk. But I have no intention of doing that. :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
" I have used both but neither are my deep cleaner or what I might call a long term lube. They may be fine for that but you know how everyone has their own routine and I have mine.

Yes they sell CLP as a spray (non-fomaing lube) I may be in the minority but I have moved to Ballistol. I think of Ballistol and CLP as conveniences, most often at the range as , an easy slide lube, something to spray and sit in the barrel a few minutes before a quick boresnaking and perhaps use the excess to rub the exterior of a firearm before storing. I don't have rust concerns where I am at. If this sounds like you then I doubt you will notice a difference between the two in any practical sense.

For slides, rails, raceways and bolts etc... I use a small amount of gun butter grease. When copper removal or deep rifle cleaning is needed I use a foaming bore cleaner. Ballistol and clp are both good pre and post foam cleaner. I now use kroil before and after foaming.

Oh, why I prefer Ballistol. The smell, and did not think CLP was a non toxic product. Odd to say but Ballistol 'feels' less toxic. Ballistol seems to spray better and less messy. CLP sprays in a thicker stream and gets all over everything.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I I just got a gallon. It works well on metal and is just OK on wood and leather, but better on plastic. Regardless, it will not harm anything on your firearm or you. The Glock cleaning video from Hickok45 helped re-spread the word. I use it in a spray bottle and a mirco applicator. Like Hickok45, Ballistol has replaced most every product he had and I had. I also like Fire Clean for the bore as a final step. This is Hickok45 extolling Ballistol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDXyJSMujFQ

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use Ballistol on my O/U shotgun from head to toe when I want to wipe it down before I put it back in the safe. It smells a bit unpleasant to me but doesn't seem to harm the satin finish on the stock and forearm of my Berretta 686. I used to use rem oil on the metal and pledge on the wood, now I spray the entire gun with Ballistol and it seems to work for me for wiping down. I still use rem oil inside the bore, it has always worked and I honestly haven't tried Ballistol for that purpose.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I've heard a lot of good about Ballistol, but its price has kept me at bay for the time being. I have a tub of Frog Lube that a friend gave me, and I'll use that before I try the other. Might not ever get to try it, since that Frog Lube tub doesn't seem to be getting any emptier!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Good stuff

Has anyone used Ballistol? I've heard a lot about it; non-toxic, okish lube, great cleaner, and prolonged use creates a slick nonstick surface. As I get closer to getting my CCW I'm interested in non-toxic stuff. MPro7 (the lube not the cleaner) just isn't all that great for me. Currently I've got a non-toxic grease for the rails but I need a CLP for rust prevention. What do you guys think? :confused:

Ballistol

If it is the original Ballistol Klever it is very good stuff.

Because every captured German soldier in WW II carried it the assumption was that it was a gun oil. It is an excellent gun oil too, but the original specifications were for a medicinal compound agains burns, sepsis and stomach ailments. It has immensely good regenerative abilities for damaged tissue.

Subsequent to the initial specification it was required to have anti-corrosive abilty as well.

To see for yourself, after shooting clean your barrel with whatever you use in the normal style until a clean patch is pushed through. Swab the barrel with a patch lightly oiled with Ballistol, leave it for 5 minutes and push another patch through and you will see the result.

Back home it is hard to get in larger than 100ml containers, rather expensive and the original pharmacalogic specifications are presented in an accompanying pamphlet.

Because it is only presented in small amounts we clean with other brand cleaners and use a small amount of Ballistol as the protective. The rust removal abilities are no less than stunning. So is the burn and other wound healing. My first aid kit is never without an unpolluted bottle of Ballistol.

I distrust most oils on leather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Ballistol on my rifles, including expensive doubles. Very happy with it, doesn't give me dermatitis like some products.

If you clean the barrels and use Ballistol it continues to remove fouling whilst protecting the bores.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One warning (and it's not as grave as Warning might sound), but Balistol will dissolve soft metals. That's why it cleans bores nicely especially if you soak em.

BUT if you have a firearm with gold inlay on it, don't ever get Balistol near it. It will take gold inlay right off.

Good stuff otherwise. makes cleaning after a range session quick and easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Likewise, if you have a chromed or nickle plated gun you don't want to use Ballistol on it, as the base layer for the plating is copper. It there is a thin spot ot nick anywhere the Ballistol will start eating the copper away and bad things can happen. :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts