Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the 130 Barnes TSX Tipped in my Mod 7 308 on deer this passed couple weeks of our season here in WV. Went to this bullet for velocity as I could only get 2550fps with a 150gr bullet out of my 20" barrel. 2950fps with the 130gr. Accuracy with various 150's was about 1 1/2" but this 130 shoots under 1' in this rifle. A heafty dose of R-15 still yields very little recoil even in this lightweight rifle. All bullets passed through and no large gapping exit holes. Actually I am quite pleased with this combo. Think I'll stay with this load for a long time. Anyone considering a load for a youth,lady, or recoil shy shooter could do worse than giving this bullet a try. see ya, Bill

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I'm surprised you could only get 2550 from your gun. I've reached 2700 with 150 grain Speers in 2 different carbine length 308s. One used AA2460, and the other used 4064. 3031 would be another powder to try with 150s in short barrels.

I was thinking of trying the 130 Barnes in my 30'06 in hopes of getting 3100-3200FPS for 300+ yds shots on deer. With your velocity increases in the 308, I may have a reason to pick up a box and load them in the '06.

·
Registered
233 Posts
tang--idont get the the personal attack on i think is dmsbandit.has he personaly upset you?2700 fps ia NOT anywhere near magnum velocity with that wieght of bullet,and i considernormal for a 308.i could quote previous posts of yours but wont because every one is entitled to there opinion,and we all say things that you and i dont agree on.-in this instance,it is obvious that dmsbandit was trying to show how to get normal velocity.the fact that you apologised to the post holder says every thing. im sure,no positive that someuncaring person could poke you with a "sharp stick" for what i percieve to be your opposite view,which also has its merits as you know.-this forum seems to be like a dart board--i dont get it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
checked burning rate of powders in those short 308 barrels,and will now say that it was the persons intentionto show speed /burning rate,over barrel length.--if you are having a PERSONAL gripe,is this the place on this forum?-i respectfully think that you got the facts wrong for this one due to animoisity.--chill.christmas is nearly here.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,019 Posts
Be nice, guys - you all know what happens when you aren't.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
checked burning rate of powders in those short 308 barrels,and will now say that it was the persons intentionto show speed /burning rate,over barrel length.--if you are having a PERSONAL gripe,is this the place on this forum?-i respectfully think that you got the facts wrong for this one due to animoisity.--chill.christmas is nearly here.

What I was saying to him, had nothing to do with this thread, it had spun off from another one. I will delete my post though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Cav, Twist rate is 1in10 for the Model 7. dms, 3031 has always been my 1st choice for my 308 target or hunting rifles. just happened to be out of it when I picked up this bullet. Will shoot r-15 and 3031 loads over the crony after uor hunting season is over. Will also shoot both loads in my son's Rem SPS tactical rifle (also 20") for the fun of compairing velocities.( SPS tact has a ! in 12" twist) see ya, Bill

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use varget or BL-C(2) for 150s or bigger my old 24 inch gas gun got 2700 fps with 168 grain a-max(Target). And about 2500 with 180 grain Hornady SST(Hunting). I think I need your load and you need mine. I need to try these 130s and 150 TSX bullets and hope to get at least 2600 out of my 16 inch barrel. I may swap barrels and look into getting an 18 inch.

AL

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Kudo61, congrats on the deer. How big? How far? What angle? What reaction? etc. etc. I've been toying with the idea of using these 130's too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had problems with cleaning the copper out of my barrel after using Barnes X bullets in my 7X57.

I would ask those of you using Barnes bullets how you get that fouling out? I've used 2 ammonia based cleaner and still am getting fouling on my patches and my accuracy is terrible out of what used to be my most accurate rifle.

By the way the Barnes bullets were accurate and very effective for the first 30 rounds.

Scruf

·
Registered
654 Posts
Have you tried CR-10 for cleaning the copper out. I run a few patches soaked in the stuff then use a brush to scrub it. After that I will patch it dry. I repeat as needed but with 20 or so passes it seems to clean up fine. Scotty

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sl, 3 deer taken, an 8pt, a 4pt, a doe. All three dropped stone dead. 8pt about 140yds, broadside intentionally shot through both shoulders, 4pt about 95yds broadside thru lungs, doe about 130yds both shoulders. As to copper fouling I have not noticed any at all in my barrel when looking at business end. Will try CR-10 after season just to confirm. 45 rounds with this bullet so far. see ya, Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cav, both bucks shot thru shoulders, doe shot behind shoulders to assess bullet expansion. all three dime size going in nickle size exits. no excessive meat damage to shoulders, fair bit of meat made it to the grinder. don't know what would have happened to meat if shots had been at 30yds. I suspect to have gotten like results. will hunt a few days of doe only season and maybe get a chance to try one in close.I don't care for excessive damage, thusly so far I am very pleased. see ya, Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Entered this load in Load Swap. compressed load. The data I found showed 50gr as max. I used 49. Charge filled case into the neck slightly but gave me no grief. Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts