Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I know this is for Big bore lever guns, but my question is about ammo reloading for a Marlin .45-70 so I sent it here instead of sending it to reloading. I recently bought some Barnes Triple Shock X-bullets for reloading for my Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle. The dealer ordered the wrong type bullets and I got stuck with them. ( I have ceased ordering any bullets from them!)
When I got them home and opened them, I discoved that they were hollow points and not a flat nosed bullet on top of being really expensive! Almost a buck a bullet! Anyway, my question is, is there anyone on this list familar with this type of bullet? Can I use them safely in my lever action rifle? The hollow point is rather large, but it still hits the primer on the outside edge. It seems that my only option is to either put some sort of rubber inside the hollowpoint that will keep the metal edge from hitting the primer or else load them two at a time with one in the chamber and one up the tube.
If anyone has any ideas on this please let me know since I hate to waste two boxes of new bullets!

Thanks,

longrangehunter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like you received TSX's for a 458 Win Mag or Lott which would mean they usually require a minimum of 1800 to 2000 fps to reliably open up. With the recoil, I doubt rubber or squirting some silicone from a caulking gun would be enough to prevent detonation. Not worth it to me anyways.

Without knowing the grains and they do cycle, you could treat them as a first round in the tube, cycle, then load another in the tube. You have a shot lever gun then. I knew of a person who did that with a 30/30 a few years back before the Hornaday Lever ammo came out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barnes .458 bullets

Sounds like you received TSX's for a 458 Win Mag or Lott which would mean they usually require a minimum of 1800 to 2000 fps to reliably open up. With the recoil, I doubt rubber or squirting some silicone from a caulking gun would be enough to prevent detonation. Not worth it to me anyways.

Without knowing the grains and they do cycle, you could treat them as a first round in the tube, cycle, then load another in the tube. You have a shot lever gun then. I knew of a person who did that with a 30/30 a few years back before the Hornaday Lever ammo came out.
Great! Not only did they not get me bullets I can't really use, They wren't even for a .45-70?
I think I may have to make a return to the store and get my money back. They would probably work in my single shot, but I can't hunt with it anymore. It weighs too much. Guess it's about time to sell that rifle, even if I have to eat some of my investment. :(

Thanks,

longrangehunter

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whats the weight? Ive used the Barnes alot and may be able to give you some Ideas if its the 300 or 250 gr TSX. Ive also heard of guys using the .458 pointy bullets and putting them in a lathe to take them down to 300 or so grs and use them in a guide gun. Just an Idea if you cant get your money back.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I shoot 350 Barnes TSX bullets in my Saimese Mauser 45/70.The only issue with trying them in a lever gun I think would be seating depth.They would have to be seated very deeply,or just shot as a single shot loaded into the chamber.I would take them back and get what you wanted or your money back.I get all my Barnes bullets direct from Barnes.Its easier and not any more expensive.Are you sure its the wrong bullet?The pointed .458 bullets do not have a large hollow point opening.What does it say on the box?Diameter Weight Description S.D. B.C. CAT#
.458" 250 gr TSX FN .170 .136 45841
.458" 300 gr TSX FN .204 .163 45843
These are the 45/70 bullets they offer

·
Registered
290 Posts
Howdy,

I know this is for Big bore lever guns, but my question is about ammo reloading for a Marlin .45-70 so I sent it here instead of sending it to reloading. I recently bought some Barnes Triple Shock X-bullets for reloading for my Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle. The dealer ordered the wrong type bullets and I got stuck with them. ( I have ceased ordering any bullets from them!)
When I got them home and opened them, I discoved that they were hollow points and not a flat nosed bullet on top of being really expensive! Almost a buck a bullet! Anyway, my question is, is there anyone on this list familar with this type of bullet? Can I use them safely in my lever action rifle? The hollow point is rather large, but it still hits the primer on the outside edge. It seems that my only option is to either put some sort of rubber inside the hollowpoint that will keep the metal edge from hitting the primer or else load them two at a time with one in the chamber and one up the tube.
If anyone has any ideas on this please let me know since I hate to waste two boxes of new bullets!

Thanks,

longrangehunter
North fork has a 350 grain all copper bullet that is expensive but i like it alot better than the barnes 300 gr tsx, just shoots better in my 1895.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If these are the spitzer bullets, I have shot a ton of those bullets and done extensive testing with them as well as taken over two dozen deer with them out of my .45-70 Contender. They expand down to 1600 fps, not the 1800 to 2000 stated above.
They should NOT be used in the lever action rifle. Period.
Get the XFN you originally intended and you can order them from dozens of places on the internet so there is no reason to buy from a joker who orders the wrong thing then makes you eat them. Also, the TSXFN bullet will expand down to 1000 fps. I have shot a ton of these also.
To make things perfectly clear,
TSX bullets in 300 gr. weight, part number 45814 should NOT be used in a LA rifle.
TSX FN bullets in 300 gr. weight, part number 45843 CAN be used in a LA rifle.

·
Banned
278 Posts
North fork has a 350 grain all copper bullet that is expensive but i like it alot better than the barnes 300 gr tsx, just shoots better in my 1895.
North Fork has both flat nosed and cup nosed 45-70 all copper bullets in 325 gr and 350 gr weights. The cup nose is a cone shaped HP that flattens out increasing the size of the meplat at 1200 fps impact velocity. It does not peel back like a hollowpoint but flattens out. NF also has a cup point 260 gr 45 Colt/454 Casull bullet that is not in their catalog but is for sale. Its cup point also flattens out at 1200 fps impact velocity. Both the North Fork bullets penetrate deeper than their Barnes DPX counterparts. Where I would limit the Barnes to a broadside shot, the North Forks will penetrate at less than ideal angles much the same way a good lead hardcast bullet will.

·
Banned
668 Posts
Look on the side of the box and please give us the Barnes part number. If they are #45841 or #45843 they are made for use with the 45-70. You have to remember that the tube magazine bulge cants the cartridge so the edge of the bullet does not line up with the primer, hence not a problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like those are for the single shot 45-70's, 458 Win. mag. and 458 Lott. I tried to load those for my Marlin but the cartridge OAL is too long for that rifle. These work just fine in my Ruger No.1 45-70 and in my bolt action 458 Win. mag.

If you try to seat them deeper then the case mouth is on the ogive of the bullet so that won't work either.

However, for the Marlin, I think the spitzer flex tip Hornady 325 gr FTX bullets used in the LeverEvolution ammo are the cat's pyjamas. :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
sounds like...looks like....could be...

How abouts the fellow who asked the question checks back in and joins the discussion so we can get this thing settled!

longrangehunter...where are you?:confused:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barnes 300 grain TSX flat base bullets

sounds like...looks like....could be...

How abouts the fellow who asked the question checks back in and joins the discussion so we can get this thing settled!

longrangehunter...where are you?:confused:
Howdy all,

Sorry to have left all this mess behind me but I fell while shoveling snow and hurt my back, legs and neck. I've spent the past weeks in bed trying to get out of pain! I discovered that I can't do what I did at 20! Being 65 and having all these problems with the old shell is definitely not for wussies. :)

Now as for the bullets I asked about. They are Barnes, TSX 300 grain flat based bullets in .458 caliber. That is what is marked on the end of the box. It also is marked 458 cal.-.458", ther are 20 bullets to a box, Barnes numer is 45814. They are also hollow point bullets and the way they are constructed would cause me more problems than they are worth. That is all the data that I have on these bullets. After reading what several folks have written about the speed necessary to make these bullets function properly, I am going to return one to the dealer for refund, and send the opened box to a friend of mine in Alaska to use in his .458 Winchester mag. rifle.
Frankly, I am rather disgusted that my dealer is so in love with the dollar bill that he ordred the most expensive bullet listed in his order catalong rather than get me what I really needed. Especially when he knew that I was using them in a Marlin 1895 CB rifle.

Thanks to everyone who answered my query about these bullets!

longrangehunter

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there any way to print out just one reply instead of the entire page? I tried to print out just this one reply and my printer went nuts!

Thanks,

longrangehunter

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sorry to hear you were injured and we're glad that you're now up and back on the forum.

Those bullets are great 45-70 hunting bullets and the hollow point is not a problem in a tube magazine. I've taken two bears with this exact bullet. We're you just wanting plinking or cowboy action bullets? If so, then they're a waste for that.

The folks at Barnes are always helpful in answering questions about their products.

I'm sure you could sell your bullets on this forum if the store won't take them back.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
Is there any way to print out just one reply instead of the entire page? I tried to print out just this one reply and my printer went nuts!

Thanks,

longrangehunter
Many printers won't handle the extra code on web pages. Try going to a "print preview" screen and then print from there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
reply on Barnes bullets

Sorry to hear you were injured and we're glad that you're now up and back on the forum.

Those bullets are great 45-70 hunting bullets and the hollow point is not a problem in a tube magazine. I've taken two bears with this exact bullet. We're you just wanting plinking or cowboy action bullets? If so, then they're a waste for that.

The folks at Barnes are always helpful in answering questions about their products.

I'm sure you could sell your bullets on this forum if the store won't take them back.
Thank you,

Thanks for the sentiment. Other than still being a tad sore from the fall I am doing fairly well for my age and such. I am still a bit leery of putting such a hot load in my Marlin for several reasons. The recoil would be rather stiff and I have fused vertibrae in my neck, and I am not comfortable shooting a bullet that might set off the cartridges in front of it in the tube. Plus I read what Big Bore wrote about not using TSX bullets in 300 grain weight, part number 45814 in a lever action rifle. What I wanted was a bullet with a flat nose and jacketed, in 300 gr. or 400 gr., or 405 gr. For white tail deer and black bear they are more than adequate. I have used 300 gr. JHP in my Marlin on deer and they worked great. I just can't recall now what brand they were. Perhaps I should call Barnes to be sure about using this particular bullet in my Marlin? Would you or another member know their number? If so I'd appreciate getting it. Thanks.

longrangehunter

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I know the agony of da feet...and the back and the knees. I figure the snow's gonna melt soon enough without any help from me.

As I recall, Barnes is a little slow to respond to e-mail...but they do respond. You can call them directly and get an answer right away. I'm at work now (lunch hour...not just goofing off during work hours), but I can get you their phone number when I get home.

THis bullet is shown in their new loading manual for 45-70 rifles. They have a section for Ruger #1's (hottest loads) and another section for modern lever guns like the Marlin...and possibly a third section for the old blackpowder 1873 Trapdoor Springfield rifles. Ther's no warnings that I recall for not using that bullet in any particular firearm. I'll double check that as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts