Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barnes recommends that you thoroughly clean all copper fouling from your gun before shooting their all copper bullets. It took a lot of cleaning to get the fouling out of my 243.

As I'm sitting here loading up a bunch of varmint loads for it, I realized that I might have to do that same thorough cleaning between using the varmint bullets and the Barnes deer loads. That will be a lot of cleaning! I intend to shoot both types of bulleets regularly during the year.

Has anyone out there done this switching back and forth? How critical did you find it to clean bore between bullet types?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
I've done it with a 6.5 Swede using their TSX bullets and then the Hornady SST's. The Barnes leave a lot of fouling due to the softer copper jackets, whereas the Hornadys have some zinc added to them and are a harder gilding metal.

Being a believer in what the manufacturer recommends, I gave the bore a good scrubbing between each type. The Barnes were a little more time consuming than the Hornadys.

·
Inactive
354 Posts
Iv'e shot Barnes in my Savage fp-10,and started throwing shots after the 8th or so round. They grouped well up until that point(1/2 in. @ 100 yds). This was with the 165 grainers in .308 Win.
I switched to bullets with 95% copper and 5% zinc and had no noticable fouling or accuracy problems after many(18+) shots working up loads. I can only attribute the fouling to copper buildup in this particular rifle. Your rifle may have no problem, but all copper is off my list from now on.

·
Gone off to enjoy his twilight years
3,312 Posts
Results with Barnes bullets do vary with particular guns. Bore/throat condition is the major reason why.

But if your gun does like them, you still have to stick with either Barnes or standard jacketed bullets - or clean between them. The two types each produce metal fouling that is not compatible with the other type. Simply switching will result in greatly increased fouling, no matter which way you switch.

And not to forget, you also MUST follow Barnes load recommendations to use their bullets, including the off-lands advice. Barnes bullets - Barnes load data. ONLY.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a lot of respect for Barnes, and I know many folks swear by them; results don't lie. That said, they're too much bother for me. I won't use them anymore after difficulties I've had with them and my experience in watching a buddy's gun become possessed when he tried to use them. Too unpredictable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.