Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You will never be sorry if you clean it after every use. However, be careful not to damage the crown or throat. Make sure you have a coated bore rod and use a bore guide.

I also make good use of Hoppe's Bore snakes for in-season or between session cleanings. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=398345

I soak the section of the snake just above the brush with a bit of Kano's or CLP and run it through a couple of times. This is not a complete cleaning, but it is quick and hasty and will help protect you from fouling. If you have a nice wood stock, you will want to keep that Kano or other solvent out of the action/stock. Using the snake from the muzzle end will facilitate this and it cannot hurt the crown. If the snake gets dirty, you just wash and dry it. Handy!

Then after the season is over (or once or twice a year if you shoot all year long) I run a couple solvent patches (I like Kano's the best), followed by a brush or a patch with some JB paste, followed by one last solvent patch and then several clean patches, and then finally a coat of CLP or Rem-oil for storage. A clean snake comes in handy again if you want to clean any excess oil out of the bore before firing.

Somenthing else I did not know for years that might be if interest: Be sure to use just a little Pro-shot Pro-gold lube around the locking lugs and the opening to the angled surface on the rear of the bolt body.

Why: As the bolt handle is lifted this angled surface cams the cocking piece back, compressing the mainspring. These cam surfaces are quite small, and the powerful mainspring provides a heavy load. When these surfaces are dry, or worse yet, covered with dust or dirt, the effort required to lift the bolt is increased considerably, as is wear on these surfaces. Bolt locking-lugs and their recesses are another example of metal-to-metal contact under load. As the bolt is lowered, the rear surface of the lugs engage the locking lug recesses and move the bolt slightly forward to fully chamber the cartridge.

http://www.10ring.com/vmchk/pro-sho...mps-pro-gold-lubricant-pro-gold-lubricant.php

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,163 Posts
.22 rimfire? I don't think I've ever cleaned the bore on my CZ 452. I've had .22 rimfires go a decade or more between cleaning. Even then just due to guilt. If they don't get wet - shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
.22 rimfire? I don't think I've ever cleaned the bore on my CZ 452. I've had .22 rimfires go a decade or more between cleaning. Even then just due to guilt. If they don't get wet - shouldn't be necessary.
+1 on my rimfires as well. the old school of having to clean your firearm after any shooting extends from the days of shooting corosive ammo. i don't clean mine until after the accuracy falls off or if i've been out in wet weather, then it gets taken down completely and cleaned and protected inside and out.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I didn't realize it was a .22 he was asking about. I clean my .22 about one or twice a year with a bore snake and solvent.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
There are two in my house that don't care if I clean them or not.

The third seems to have a "window" of accurate shooting that is near to being from the between 10 to 250 or so shots starting with a clean barrel.

It is easy to clean though, and ten shots from that and I'm back to good shooting.
I'd never even notice it except when bench rested. Is also a bolt rifle so it does not see high-volume shooting.

Cheezywan

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i run a bore snake through mine occasionally..not sure i need to though.. the most impotant thing with a 22 semi is good clean ammo[marlin 60]..
the cz 452 don t seem to care about clean ammo much ..but i use it anyway ,,as long as i have it
suprizingly even dity ole remington bulk shoots pretty accurate in it though....slim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.