Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range recently and observed a guy spraying some sort of foam cleaner in his barrels. He rested them muzzle down on a rack and sprayed this foam bore cleaner in and let them set for 5-10 minutes. Anyone have any expirience or info on this?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Several companies make the foam bore cleaners. Easy to use without making a mess. I have used a couple of different brands that worked well. They save some time since you don't have to saturate a patch and run it down the bore. Just fill the bore with foam and let set for a while, then swab clean.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Could start a new thread. Don't care to. Wonder what those foaming cleaners show on a factory new rifle barrel in "un-fired" condition?

I sure read some good reviews on that stuff.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I've been using that CVA "Barrel Blaster" in my Ruger #1 and 30-06 bolt rifle. It seems to work pretty good, but I can;t really evaluate it because, after I let it soak and scrub it out, then Butch's Bore SHine and another cleaner follow it. The instructions say you can let it soak for up to 24 hours, but the longest I've allowed it is about an hour or two, before moving on to continue cleaning with other stuff. WHo knows how well it really works. Not me.

I will say though, that stuff does have some pneumatic power to it! It will push a double, over-sized patch right out of the bore (stuck in there so the foam doesn't come out and get into the falling block)! You spray a quick shot into the muzzle and, seconds later, it's expanding and trying to come out both ends.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lead Out.

I was at the range recently and observed a guy spraying some sort of foam cleaner in his barrels. He rested them muzzle down on a rack and sprayed this foam bore cleaner in and let them set for 5-10 minutes. Anyone have any expirience or info on this?
:)If you are trying to "get the lead out" give this a try. Mix up 50% vinegar with 50% hydrogen peroxide, plug the barrel and pour in this solution to fill the the barrel completely. Of course have the firearm with the barrel verticle-I like muzzel down. Wait for the solution to do its "magic (10 to 30 minutes usually works fine) then pour out the solution. Wipe barrel with clean patch then brush barrel if needed. Repeat as necessary until satisfied with results. I've been using this method with my handguns that needed leading cleaned out and it works great for me. After finished shooting for the day clean and preserve firearm as usual.:)

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
:)If you are trying to "get the lead out" give this a try. Mix up 50% vinegar with 50% hydrogen peroxide, plug the barrel and pour in this solution to fill the the barrel completely...
Would an o-ringed chamber plug works as well? I have one for my 300WSM. Have never used it...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Barrel plug

Would an o-ringed chamber plug works as well? I have one for my 300WSM. Have never used it...
I don't see why not. I use a cork or "permagum." It's sold at RV stores as a sealant for weather proofing seams in trailers and motorhomes. BTW another use for the stuff is if you put a small wad of the stuff on a screwdriver- "ZINGO", you've got the best screw holding screwdriver you've ever seen. You want the stickiest, non hardening sealant you can find. It is able to be formed in your hand, never hardens and usually is sold in rolls of approx. 1/2" width. AC suppliers may carry it also.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My 270 Ruger 77 hunting rifle gets cleaned before & after every Deer Hunting season weather I shoot a Deer or not,Still gets cleaned before it is put away for the next Season. I use nothing but EEZOX on all of my firearms. & it does a great job on any powder fouling etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts