1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Good Writeup. "love" the fine shallow radial pattern on your crown. I would presume a more rigid means of holding the barrel for the Crowing process and also a more rigid means of presenting the cutter would reduce the radial marks. I learned something today, Thank You for sharing.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
36,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. That was a pretty crude effort - I did that writeup almost ten years ago and had forgotten about it till recently. Now I can do such things in the lathe which is much superior.

But, the point is, it can be done with hand tools. Probably could have cleaned up the crown by hand with the same cutter to get rid of the marks. It still shot pretty well for an old Turk that had seen all sorts of use over the years. We weren't talking about a new Shilen barrel after all!

·
36,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you did a little neater job than I did!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looks like you did a little neater job than I did!
Thanks for the kind words.

Have used the Lee case trimmer to crown around 6 barrels since my first attempt. Have three of the Lee case trimmers. Found one of them to have a slight wobble....hole for spindle not drilled right, so have to be careful and not use it.

Generally you can use the spindle for the next smaller caliber.....have a 30 cal bore, then use spindle for a 7mm/.284, have a 7mm bore, use a .270 win/.268 spindle and etc. Of course you will need to shim the spindle with something to take up the slack....I prefer to use the aluminum for the side of a soft drink or beer can, but have used some brass shim stock too.

Can recall some guy at surplus rifle forum used some kind of nylon tubing on a spindle to protect the riflings and take the slack out to prevent a wobble as he turned the case trimmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts