Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great Winchester Lightweight Model 70 Carbine chambered in .270 with a 20" barrel. It was purchased in the 80s as a first deer rifle for my son and excelled in that role as it is very easy to handle/carny and very accurate as well. The only downside to this rifle is the short barrel produces excessive muzzle blast and is quite loud. I am not interested in re-barreling the rifle, but I was wondering if anyone had ever produced a "barrel extension" (akin to a muzzle brake") that you could screw on to the end of a carbine length barre;l to lengthen it. The advantages in doing so would be less muzzle blast and report, better balance and more velocity.

Is this feasible and has anyone ever had any experience with something like that? Thanks!

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,319 Posts
The advantages in doing so would be less muzzle blast and report, better balance and more velocity.
A device that you can screw on to the end of a barrel, which can help those things; is called a Suppressor.

Simply screwing a larger (than bore diameter) piece of metal on the end, is a megaphone. In order to gain any appreciable velocity, you'd have to have someone match the lands and groves perfectly. Otherwise like a Suppressor, your gain a very small amount.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,129 Posts
Might be easier to download it a bit, or find some 'youth' loads in factory ammo if you don't handload.

The fireball out the muzzle at night with full-power loads ought to be a sight to behold.... :eek:

Or take earplugs in the field.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,875 Posts
As Darkker says, unless land and groove is matched perfectly (including absolute diameter) adding a barreled extension is not to be. A smooth bore that aligns up perfectly with bore might be added by a very competent 'smith giving a bit of chamber for the flash.

Best way is to reduce loads and try to find a more "flashless" powder. The bark and blast from a 270 Win is why I never owned one. Stood beside a guy one time in Canada when he let loose with one. Think that's what caused the ringing in my ears today. :)

·
Premium Member
14,346 Posts
A good customer insisted on a 20" .270. I think it set the grass on fire at least once. The 7-08 is about perfect for a short barrel carbine.

I have extended barrels to make them legal, but accuracy seems to always suffer if the end is left open and illegal if shut to just over bullet diameter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for yor replies gentlemen. So khub, what is a "flash-less powder?" Can you give the name or number for one for 270 use? Thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,875 Posts
Slower burning powders generally are less prone to fireballs at the muzzle than faster burning ones.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have a barrel extension on a .22 target rifle, my prone rifle.....a "bloop" tube, it extends my sight radius. That is about the only reason that I can think of for adding to a barrel.
Pete

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
A 20" 270 is a prime candidate for a Silencerco harvestor if the muzzle is large enough/wall thickness to be threaded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts