Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will still stick by my guns and say that muzzle brakes are far more effective than porting......by over 50%....

Take my Ruger Super Redhawk for example. Shooting 24.0 gr. of Win. 296 Powder behind a 240 grain Remington JHP bullet, I can ACCURATELY get off all 6-shots in less than 6-seconds running double action! With a scope! My testing targets were gallon milk jugs full of water at 40 yards. Shooting double action only and using the above mentioned load and being on a timer, I could explode all 6 water jugs in 6 seconds or less. With one of my brakes, being ported on just the top and sides, it had "0" muzzle rise and total felt recoil was comparable to an 8 3/8" S&W 686 shooting DEWC loads in a 38 spl. case loaded with 4.0 gr. Red Dot. Show me a "ported" barrel that will reduce recoil that much....

Well, I guess I need to get off my soap box since this was after all about porting and not muzzle brakes...Sorry Mr. Stanton....

God Bless,

DAVID

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David,

How about a photo of your Redhawk setup? It would be interesting to see what you've come up with for these critters.

Too, is your brake cast-bullet proof?

I won't mention names, but I've grenaded name-brand muzzlebrakes using cast bullets due to minute particles of lead accumulating in the porting, then changing the dynamics of the venturi effect they create, and POOF! Away they go! Manufacturers have since put a disclaimer on those brakes, excluding warranty on use with cast bullets!

Anyhow, if a brake won't handle cast bullets...... well the rest goes without saying!

God Bless,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts