Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has an 1890 Win. 22 short "gallery gun" she inherited from her father. The gun has no remaining bluing but no pitting and the stock is O.K. The bore is very poor--I'm sure it was never cleaned and sat neglected in a broom closet for 25 years after he died. Heck, it was probably neglected for 40+ years before that. Anyway, I'm thinking of having the barrel re-lined and wondered if it could be made to shoot 22LR? Anybody?

· Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys, for the input. It might be fun to have a good shooter in .22 Short. Gunplumber, can you give an estimate on a re-line? I know you probably need to examine the gun to determine the condition, but maybe just a ballpark figure?

· Banned
46 Posts
Anyone you send it to will be hesitant to change it to a LR. Most will do it to chamber the short so that new carriers and other parts will not be needed. They will first shoot the gun upon arrival to see that it functions properly before work to avoid any confrontations at a later date. If the guns works as it should and all that is needed is the reline (meaning it feeds, extracts and ejects properly), I would think you could get it done several places for about 150.00 plus return shipping and ins. For 250.00 you could buy everything you needed to do it yourself but the chamber reamer (your shy about 50.00). That's a tad high to me.

· Banned
397 Posts
Stay with the .22 short it keeps the gun as is. The short
is a lot of fun to shoot, and if you use short hollow points
the rifle becomes a super rat killer. If you want a .22 long
rifle just go out and buy a new one they are not that expensive.

Zeke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.