Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOW! Here is my question...!!!

this is concerning my new G20.

Out of approx: 300 rds. today shooting outside.
(4)times, i saw,"Sparks fly," from the "breech area of gun," where the slide and barrel lock up.

I have had what i can only describe as a "slice" out of the pointed end of the hood, on the breech end of the barrel.(the lug above the bore hole, fat on one end, and goes down to a point).

i sent it back to Glock , they said the barrel was, "out of specs."

they replaced the barrel, and now it is still doing the same thing.. a "cut", or slice, out of the pointed end of the hood, and a small vertical slice on the edge of the fat part of the hood. There is "NO" dings or knicks in the slide where the barrel locks up at all.

This barrel, too, (the new one), is getting a 'very pronounced,' dip,',or cut, out of the pointed tip of the hood, and a small vertical slice out of the edge of the "fat" part of the hood. (on the breech of barrel).

In closing here.. only two things i can think of would do this... "metal to metal" or... some "flash back" from powder residue etc.

If "any" of you, have ever seen this, (the sparks flying while firing) at the breech, or, this small slice or cut, at the pointed end of the hood,please let me know..

if any of you guys think you "truly know," what may be doing this.. , or you too, see this on your barrel,please let me hear from ya here.

***Remember*** the sparks flew only four times out of about 300 rds..

and i am still getting these 'vertical cuts' in the barrel hood on the fat end and the pointed end..other than that! This thing functions perfect without a hitch. i would appreciate your input on the sparks, and etc.

ps.. i see "NO" dings in any metal on the "slide"

Thanks guys!

CanyonMan

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, CanyonMan:
The sparks are most likely blowby. Is this a real shower of sparks, or just one or two? Are they even coming from the ejection port? Things happen fast on a semi-auto and handguns don't burn all the powder in the barrel, so you could have powder grains deflecting straight up off the back of the bullet at barrel exit.

I can't help you with the barrel wear problem. There's more folks who know Glocks over at The Firing Line forum. Might be a good idea to ask there in the Semiauto forum.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/index.php?s=

dclark's right about warranty, but if someone can tell you exactly what the problem is, you might have better luck when you get back to Glock.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
CM,

What does the brass look like? Any holes/splits/missing primers?

If the brass looked OK, I'd be inclined to go along with Jack's assessment, that it may be unburned powder.

By the way... what exactly are you shooting? I did see a hole burn through on a CCI Blazer (aluminum case) once, heck of a squirt of flame back out the ejection port.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MikeG

Mike,
the brass looks great, normal bulge, and the primers are great as well.

I have loaded 9.0/10.5, bluedot/180gr fmj
I have also used 7.0/7.5, 800X/180gr fmj

again, everything cycles great, functions great, and great accuracy.. but, something is causing the 'dip,slice, cut.' what evever you want to call it, in the hood.

That's about all i can tell ya..

CanyonMan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts